• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

larsen mobile antennas for cb

The only thing I'll add is the loading coil does not have a tap to ground. Having a tap to ground makes it easier to obtain a flatter VSWR over a wide range of ground plane surfaces, particularly those that are lacking.
I do respect the opinion of the more knowledgeable, and have some questions.
The tap on the loading coil, would that be for RF ground?
Is that what they use on some VHF wide band "no ground plane antennas" ? (To be used on the front fender of a pickup or mirror mounted on big trucks).
Which ones, that you know, have a tap? (Just talking about CB/11m antennas).
Thanks

I know I am late in my reply, but I wanted it documented here. I have a Larsen NLA-27 on NLA-MM, on my vehicle, that I have had since 1988. I have repaired the mount a few times, but the antenna is the best base loaded antenna I have had, out of 100 different ones. I am still using it today.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I just installed a

Larsen Antenna 27-30 MHz​

on my pickup truck top center cab and after making a few small cuts to the stinger, got it dialed right in.
Very good swr.
Seems to be working great for an antenna only 46 or so inches tall. I'm pretty happy with it.

I just installed a

Larsen Antenna 27-30 MHz​

on my pickup truck top center cab and after making a few small cuts to the stinger, got it dialed right in.
Very good swr.
Seems to be working great for an antenna only 46 or so inches tall. I'm pretty happy with it.
Which exact antenna is it? What band are you tuning in?

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
It's the NMO 27B. 11 meter. Never owned one so thought i'd give it a try. Especially after reading this.
https://www.hamradio.me/antennas/not-all-mobile-antennas-are-the-same.html
Although I know this is just the CB Band. I may get laughed at for talking CB. haha.
Lots of us cb guys these days, care less what anyone thinks.

I have the laird cb-27 nmo and it's not done me well. I punched the hole so am pretty dedicated to an nmo at this point. Be sure to report back after you've ran it for a while. I might try it if it serves you well.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Lots of us cb guys these days, care less what anyone thinks.

I have the laird cb-27 nmo and it's not done me well. I punched the hole so am pretty dedicated to an nmo at this point. Be sure to report back after you've ran it for a while. I might try it if it serves you well.
Ok I will! I didn't punch a hole. I took an old 5 inch tram nmo mag mount I have and jerked that cheap tram rg58 out of it. Replaced it with some of DX Engineering's supposedly "low loss", RG8X, 162 inches of it, and it works fantastic! Mounted dead center on top of my pickup truck cab. After trimming several times I got the Larsen dialed in very well and, it talks and hears very well. Seems like it don't receive as much static as some of my other antennas either.

Last edited:
I've use the Larson NMO 27 along with a PCTEL on a Diamond trunk mount and ended up abandoning them. I'm aware that center of mass is the best, but trying this just because. I traveled the same route every day and using either one, I was unable to make my usual contacts. I could hear 'em but was talking to myself. We've all been there and there could be the worst weather in the world, and we're all out there determined to rectify that situation! (Honey, can you hold the umbrella?) So of course this led to mobile antenna testing day, again.

My setup was a small sedan, truck lid, body, frame all bonded. Rig 35 as the analyzer. Power output 3 watts. All in the 11 meter band.
Stationary, Tx location mid mountain top, mid afternoon, with a station to my NE 14 miles away, LOS, a station to the S 11 miles bouncing off a couple of ridges, no line of sight, and one NW 8 miles with a mountain directly in the way.

Now being data driven and trying to eliminate bias, the 3 stations were blind to what I was using. The candidates were:
Larson NMO 27,
PCTEL,
Hustler SC,
Stryker SR2K 10",
Wilson 2000 10" shaft.

I had to modify a Diamond mount to accept a 3/8 x 24 stud for the Hustler, Stryker and Wilson where the mount was next to the NMO mount. Same length of coax for each mount, same side of the vehicle, and each antenna was pre-tuned before hand and rechecked once installed at the "testing site" (just needed to sound official). Everything was under 1.5.

Station #1 #2 #3 ( in S units)
Larson 2 2 nada
PCTEL 2 2 nada
Hustler 6 6 3
Stryker 6 6 3
Wilson 6 6 3

These are all relative and not exact measurements. Those operators are all radio heads but I'm unaware if their Rx is calibrated to specs but it still gave me some on air data. Each antenna was tested 3X in a random order and averaged up to the next highest whole number. I would have went with more testing, but who got board, who had to go eat, who had to go to the bathroom, etc, etc. It was a couple of hours worth of work but worth it for me.

Now for my bias. I don't care for base loaded or mag mount. And I just can't come to drilling a hole. Now I'm running a fender mount with a Hustler or a 4' glass and sometimes a Sirio 5000 mounted on it. Bottom line for me, height makes might but I know that 71 incher is gonna break that mount. Also, lowest SWR were the NMO mounts and so is my dummy load. Also I was always a function above form guy, but the Hustler matches the color of the car and looks like it was made for it.
IMG_2649.JPG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.