• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Larsen NMO 27B Frequency Change

darrenster

Oct 20, 2009
Hi All,

I have a Larsen NMO 27B which I no longer want to use for a CB radio; brand new in its package. The place I brought it from wont take it back. Is there any chance I could re-tune it so it could operate on 144.390MHz?

The specs are as followed:

NMO 27B
Frequency: 27-30 MHz.
Gain: 0 dBd
Type: 1/4 Wave
Power: 200 Watts
Base: NMO27BCO Black
Whip: W490B Black
Height: 53 inches (132 cm)

Thanks!!

If you want to go to the trouble of re-building that antenna, you could use it on whatever frequency you wanted. But, it would definitely require some 'not so small' modifications to it, and probably not worth the expense.
- 'Doc

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Just a suggestion, I have one & you can't buy a higher quality antenna than Larsen (noted for their commercial antennas). Might come close to getting your money out of it by selling it.

Larsen NMO34 w/64" whip...

I have exhaustively tested all the Larsen "Low-band" coil and whip pairings and have come to certain conclusions. The Larsen NMO27 antennas, at 49" are virtually worthless.

If you are looking for an excellent 10M or CB antenna that will rival the Wilson 1000, then you can't do better than the Larsen NMO34 coil with the 64" whip. That combo is the NMO34B coil, and the W640 whip. Depending on your mounting situation, you may have tro add the Larsen spring (SPRINGB). This antenna measures 70" total length from bottom of coil to tip of antenna, (longer with spring). It performs beautifully on 10 - the first time I tried it I ended up working a VK with my 7W PEP QRP portable!!!. Around town, it has superb range; I can work bases and mobiles out 25 and 30 miles away.

For CB use, I recomment the Larsen NMO30 coil, with the 64" whip. That will put you around 27.200 Mhz, (approximately Ch 20.) with the same results, (depending on your mounting situation; again, you may need a spring).

These antennas are special order only, but any Larsen dealer can get them easily.

Ed,
I think you may be missing something, the 'conversion' would be to 2 meters, not for HF at all.
In effect, that would mean changing the internal coil to impedance matching and no, or very little loading for that particular length of whip compared to the loading for use on HF. That sort of modification is certainly possible, the difficult part would be accessing the parts to modify without destroying the antenna's physical usability.
If I absolutely had to, I think I could do that electrical modification, but I'm not sure about the part about keeping the thing physically usable. I figure you could too if it came to that, or the poster for that matter. The key words in that are "absolutely necessary" and "usable". Your point about that antenna's worth is also a consideration! It seems that swapping it for a 2 meter antenna would be another consideration to keep in mind, and one I'd certainly be more comfortable with, you know?
- 'Doc

(And if it came to that point, doing away with the coil at the base, cutting the whip down to something a little longer than 20 inches then tuning the thing would at least give you a 1/4 wave antenna on 2 meters. I really wouldn't recommend that unless you were really desperate.)

Ed,
I think you may be missing something, the 'conversion' would be to 2 meters, not for HF at all.
No Doc, I got it the first time! I mentioned that the coil had way too much inductance to be easily modified. As well, modern Larsen black coils are sealed, making access to the internal coil difficult without ruining the coil housing.
In effect, that would mean changing the internal coil to impedance matching and no, or very little loading for that particular length of whip compared to the loading for use on HF. That sort of modification is certainly possible, the difficult part would be accessing the parts to modify without destroying the antenna's physical usability.
Ditto see above.
If I absolutely had to, I think I could do that electrical modification, but I'm not sure about the part about keeping the thing physically usable. I figure you could too if it came to that, or the poster for that matter. The key words in that are "absolutely necessary" and "usable". Your point about that antenna's worth is also a consideration! It seems that swapping it for a 2 meter antenna would be another consideration to keep in mind, and one I'd certainly be more comfortable with, you know?
- 'Doc

(And if it came to that point, doing away with the coil at the base, cutting the whip down to something a little longer than 20 inches then tuning the thing would at least give you a 1/4 wave antenna on 2 meters. I really wouldn't recommend that unless you were really desperate.)
Precisely why I said it was a useless endeavour! Better to get a Larsen NMO150B, and be done with it! If he can, he might try selling the NMO27 on eBay... or do as I suggested and add the 64" whip and put the thing on 12M.

Reactions: Slowmover
thanks for all the comments. I think there might be a little bit of confusion here. I'm looking to ditch the CB radio all together and want to convert my current larsen 27b antenna to work on the APRS frequency. From the first reply it looks like it can not be done because of the inductance of the coil that came with my current larsen 27b antenna.

Now if anyone is interested in buying my larsen 27b antenna or making a trade, send me a pm.

Thanks!!

I have exhaustively tested all the Larsen "Low-band" coil and whip pairings and have come to certain conclusions. The Larsen NMO27 antennas, at 49" are virtually worthless.

If you are looking for an excellent 10M or CB antenna that will rival the Wilson 1000, then you can't do better than the Larsen NMO34 coil with the 64" whip. That combo is the NMO34B coil, and the W640 whip. Depending on your mounting situation, you may have tro add the Larsen spring (SPRINGB). This antenna measures 70" total length from bottom of coil to tip of antenna, (longer with spring). It performs beautifully on 10 - the first time I tried it I ended up working a VK with my 7W PEP QRP portable!!!. Around town, it has superb range; I can work bases and mobiles out 25 and 30 miles away.

For CB use, I recomment the Larsen NMO30 coil, with the 64" whip. That will put you around 27.200 Mhz, (approximately Ch 20.) with the same results, (depending on your mounting situation; again, you may need a spring).

These antennas are special order only, but any Larsen dealer can get them easily.

OK, so 8 years later here I go bringing this thread back.

I'm thinking about going with the NMO30BCO coil and W640B whip. I plan to use it for CB and between 28.300 and 28.700 on 10M. Would this antenna be wide enough to do that?

Larsen NMO34 coil with the 64" whip.
OK, so 8 years later here I go bringing this thread back.

I'm thinking about going with the NMO30BCO coil and W640B whip. I plan to use it for CB and between 28.300 and 28.700 on 10M. Would this antenna be wide enough to do that?

I use the Larsen NMO34 coil with the 64" whip. Works like a champ, but it won't play that wide. Tune it for the upper CB portion, then you should be OK to 28500. I have it stored for later use or I'd check it. It's comparable to a Wilson 1000 in performance, but without the big honking coil base.

I found a company. The Antenna Farm stocks these items.
Is any whip triming required for CB usage if I were to buy the NMO 30 and the 64 inch whip with a spring?
How about the same without a spring?
I have a Chevy Impala car that has roof through NMO installed.

Is any whip triming required for CB usage if I were to buy the NMO 30 and the 64 inch whip with a spring?

I have used that combination of coil, spring and whip for around 8 years. It gives great results. Have it hard mounted. Plays just as well as a Wilson 1000, but is crippled at 200 watts. Nice looking configuration. I did have to trim.

No need to cut the spring. Buy the NMO-30 and the 64 inch whip, insert and adjust to low SWR, then enjoy. If I recall correctly no spring was needed.

I just placed an order for one of these NMO-30's and the 64" antenna, as well as an NMO-34 because I have an extra whip left over from a failed Sirio 5000 coil that I plan to try and see if it doesn't do just a little better. Because I believe the NMO-34 has less load coil than the NMO-30 and would need a longer whip, which the Sirio 5000 uses a 72" whip.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated