• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

late model Ram - quick and dirty radio mount

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
Here’s my quick setup for my 2018 Dodge. They just don’t make trucks radio friendly anymore, so I took advantage of the fold down bench seat.

I may round off some edges and wrap everything in vinyl just to help it blend in a bit...whole truck is vinyl anyway. Haha.

2D9975AA-8431-4B17-89CC-A52CE686A79A.jpeg 411E2375-B6CB-4FDA-9004-AA652173D5B0.jpeg C0860805-B12D-47A2-8D3B-64526ECBBBD5.jpeg

Good! I like the simplicity & portability.

I’ve used a GEARKEEPER retractable mike hanger in big trucks and use it in pickup by attaching to passenger sun visor mount.

May I also recommend a cover for dust and to keep that Old Swill-wakee beer out?

Mounts also at GENO’S GARAGE.

With others reading this, don’t forget RAM MOUNTS for laptops that utilize a base column that bolts to passenger seat.

See also GALLS and other police supply.

The elightbars site also has ideas, as do some of the Ram Truck web forums.

I’ve been using my Peterbilt as the experiment station.

On my ‘04 Ram Cummins power will be via ANCOR Marine Grade Duplex wiring & terminations plus their flame-resistant split loom wire cover.

Battery connection BUSSMAN/Blue Sea fuse terminal. Neg to frame near starter.

No soldering allowed with these as USCG forbids due to vibration.

A West Mountain Rig Runner as power distribution panel. Anderson PowerPoles as disconnects.

Have you also done The Big Three upgrade (usually on car stereo discussions)?

As my truck has hit fifteen years, a full set of new battery cables plus all options from www.batterycables.com is scheduled.

I also need to run XHD cable to a large APP disconnect at the front grille for jump starting, and another to the rear hitch receiver for the travel trailer battery charge plus ground.

I mention these as radio power with an amp is suitable to include with that for planning. I found that an ANAZON-sourced hydraulic crimper wasn’t expensive or difficult to use.

My MY and spec of Ram can use an upgraded alternator and bracket designed for EMS (ambulance, etc). There’s also provision in computer for a high engine idle switch.

Charging travel trailer batteries after a few days of use, and/or running a high power radio makes better use of these expensive go karts.

Easier to lay out all possibilities at start. I haven’t even mentioned a high quality stereo system. Or extra vehicle lighting. Etc. As doing things one at a time turns into a wiring rats nest.

WAYTEK WIRING, POWERWERX, and others are good sources for supplies past Amazon searches.

Reactions: Woody-202
Slowmover,

With just the radio I’m not worried about upgrading the electrical, but I will when I install an amplifier.

I’ll probably just do what’s worked for me in the past, a larger charging wire from the alternator, as well as a heavier cable to the frame.

I have 190 amp alternator, and dual batteries. I wish I had gotten the duals. From what I understand a 220amp alternator is a drop in for this truck, but about $300.

I have the idle control, it works off the cruise buttons and I use it constantly on the farm (jump starting tractors).

That speaker is intriguing, wow...pricey! I have a cheapy thats currently sitting in the slot on the dash. The President doesn’t seem to have great volume and I wouldn’t hear anything where it sits.

Anyway - next upgrade is the antenna. I’m seriously interested in the Sirio 5000. Love the length, but that would be the downside as well. Currently have a Wilson mag mount and already hit trees everywhere. Regardless, I will need a hard mount for an amplifier.

Ran a 10k on my last truck, but the roofs are just so thin for an antenna that style. I had to take the headliner out, install the mount, and reinforce the whole area with fiberglass. As much as I loved the antenna, it’s just a lot of work. I think I can get away without much less effort with the base loaded Wilson.

Reactions: Slowmover
Also..must say I can’t complain about the Wilson’s performance. I’ve run them in the past (nearly 20 years ago, I think) and always had good luck. With DX as spotty as it’s been, I’ve had several good contacts this week on SSB. Much was from South America/ West Indies, but yesterday I had a brief QSO with a fellow in Maine, and the day before a few stations in Florida. I’m pretty happy considering the poor conditions, and operating a relatively low power mobile in N.C.

Oh, I’m sure it will. But still I think upgrading the charging wire is prudent.

I’m not planning to drop a 220alternator in, just lusting over it.

Mobile has been working great for me. Radio mount has been very secure. Added my DX500, but still haven’t drilled the roof. Will eventually. I have no reservations about drilling the holes, just have t felt like pulling the headliner.

I also added a ammeter and volt meter just for a feel good measure that everything is in working order.

696F83A8-9C16-4F96-A322-781B041AF928.jpeg

View attachment 31233

And, digital audio filtration

Don't leave home without it. Signals out there you presently can’t decipher. The radio can. Just not your ears.

WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER

See threads.

I use a ClearSpeech DSP Speaker or DSP Base Module on every radio I use that has SSB or AM.That includes my ICOM 7600 which has an Awesome built in DSP & it makes all of them better.I refuse to operate without them.I Hate Noise & these bad boys remove 99% of it for listening that is a Pleasure.Also I don't mount my UNIDEN 980SSB in my 2007 RAM 1500 Quad Cab.I simply slide it down between the drivers seat & the center console & plug in the ClearSpeech speaker & I'm off.

SIX-SHOOTER

I use a ClearSpeech DSP Speaker or DSP Base Module on every radio I use that has SSB or AM.That includes my ICOM 7600 which has an Awesome built in DSP & it makes all of them better.I refuse to operate without them.I Hate Noise & these bad boys remove 99% of it for listening that is a Pleasure.Also I don't mount my UNIDEN 980SSB in my 2007 RAM 1500 Quad Cab.I simply slide it down between the drivers seat & the center console & plug in the ClearSpeech speaker & I'm off.

SIX-SHOOTER

The more I hear the more I want one. There’s been more than a few times I could hear my call sign but missed a contact because the other station was just below the QRM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated