• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LDG AT-1000 PRO2. USE QUESTION.

Mudduckmobile

Oct 5, 2015
S.W. Washington Coast
I do not know this to be true or not....But I have been told by someone that the LDG AT-1000 Pro2
thinks it has a good "tune" when the swr is at 1:1:7...or a 2:0.
This to me does not sound right,, and has put a seed of thought in my mind, so I have come for some words from folks that DO know.
I want to get this ATU just to polish up my delta loop when out in the field dxing.
I like what I have read on line, and have been recommended this unit on this form by folks that know.
The main reason I am concerned about the SWR thing is my out board amp, I realy need to keep the SWR down. The amp is a DX500v with n.o.s. 2879 (Toshiba's), The amp is fresh and now new. I dont want to kill it, and I will be using the AT-1000 Pro2, to keep mt swr down to (I hope) 1:1 on all freqs.

The comment by the person who told you that really doesn't make much sense to me unless you put it in context with a specific antenna situation. Could be that was the best match for THAT particular situation. Auto tuners are not a "cure all" for crappy antenna systems. If your antenna is close to resonance it will, more than likely, match it flat. I've been using LDG tuners for quite a few years, with amplifiers, with zero issues.

Reactions: Robb
The comment by the person who told you that really doesn't make much sense to me unless you put it in context with a specific antenna situation. Could be that was the best match for THAT particular situation. Auto tuners are not a "cure all" for crappy antenna systems. If your antenna is close to resonance it will, more than likely, match it flat. I've been using LDG tuners for quite a few years, with amplifiers, with zero issues.
As it is right now, my Delta loop antenna is: 1:0, 1:1, .365 to about .557 on 11 meters, it all kind of depends on if I'm set up on sand or dirt, wet or dry, snow or what ever, I know you know what I'm say'en. The worst I have ever seen was 1.3 but I was way out on .885, and around 26.455 around 1.4.
With my sirio 5000 I'm flat pretty much any place on "cb", I just want to use the at-1000p2 to keep things flat to keep the amp nice.
The antenna the person was using that was having "problems" with the swr had, in m,y mind not the best set up, Antenna 102 whip, no bonding, and swr was around 1.3-1.5, with X= about 24-30. I dont think it is set up well at all but he will not lesson to me as he is a.......Know it all. But some times...he does say things that gets one to think...At least I learn from it all.
And thank you for your in put. I know this is a good place to learn, along with the books....I hope I can test soon, I keep say'en that....our tests are done every 6 weeks here, and it seems my wife goes to the hospital all the time and it keeps me from testing.
I'll get it soon I hope.
The photos are from my mobile set up. I have no photos at this time with the Delta loop.

Attachments

• 20161112_100100[1].jpg
    20161112_100100[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • 20161112_095833[1].jpg
    20161112_095833[1].jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20161112_100102[1].jpg
    20161112_100102[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
  • 20161112_100343[1].jpg
    20161112_100343[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • 20161112_095801[1].jpg
    20161112_095801[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Actually, that is correct...... kinda

the LDG has 2 "auto" settings.a "semi"auto and a "full" auto

FULL auto will initiate a tuning cycle EVERY time there is RF present AND the SWR exceeds a PRESET value, the factory default value is 2.0:1.

You can set the default value anywhere from 1.1:1 to 3.0:1.
.... the manual states the lowest setting is 1.7:1, but if you cycle thru the settings it can be set lower

SEMI auto will initiate a tune cycle ONLY when the tune is manually forced (push the TUNE button manually).

FULL auto will initiate a tuning cycle EVERY time there is RF present AND the SWR exceeds a PRESET value, the factory default value is 2.0:1.

.... the manual states the lowest setting is 1.7:1, but if you cycle thru the settings it can be set lower

SEMI auto will initiate a tune cycle ONLY when the tune is manually forced (push the TUNE button manually).
Yes, thank you. I was just looking at the video on the operation of the 1000 p2, and saw how to set the swr to a lower setting. I can see how after I have "been" to a freq. that using the full auto mod I would be good, I just need to set the default to 1:1. or 1:2.

Oh, I get it now. "semi-auto", I just hit the tune button on each change of freq, and it will go to me "pre set"
1:1-1:2.
I'm going to just have to get it set up and do it...reading, and writting it is one thing but as I have found out (learning the menu's on the yaesu) it easer to do then to try to read and talk...I just need to do it to get it in my head.

all a tuner does is fool your radio.
into thinking it has a good match. it will save your finals.
but you still have a high swr.
the same goes for any tuner.
most people do not understand this.

I understand how an "atu" works, I m just looking to polish up a 1.3 or 1.4 to safe guard my radio, The freqs I'm on most of the time I am right on the money but i'll stray some....

Actually, a tuner allows the radio to "look into" an approx 50 ohm load,

it has nothing to do with VSWR.

you would be surprised at the people that don't know this.
they buy a tuner and think they have a good match.
im sure you guys know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.