• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LDG autotuner

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
After spinning the dials on my Mighty Fine Junk 989-C for years, I gave in and got a AT-200 Pro Autotuner..... and it is "Da BomB"
Hooked it to the 897, plugged in the supplied cables, and it works great, in fact it is awesome!
Right now I have a I-10K and a Longwire up for HF and the tuner has 2 antenna inputs.
I stepped through the bands, and did a tune were I hang out at. The first time you tune it takes a few seconds of the relays buzzing, but once you have tuned it for the frequency you are going to use, the next time it will remember the setting and switch to it, one click. And its got like 16,000 memories in the thing. I am running it in auto-tune mode right now. Key up and start talking and if the SWR is above 1.7, it will retune without even touching it, even on SSB.
It sure beats cranking the knob on the MFJ.
It will not handle the power the 989 will, but for just running the radio, it has lots of headroom @ 250 watts.
So far,I am a happy camper!

Jeff

I use the Z 100 autotuner with my 706MKIIG and it does a great job. I have been wanting to get the AT 180 to match with my 706 but, decided that the radio will go into the car and the LDG will work great. I have been very happy with the performance of the tuner. As Audioshockwav has stated, it takes a moment to tune until it memorizes the frequency, then dead on a fraction of a second after that. If you decide to buy one, I'm sure you will be happy. Good Luck

My buddy just baught one from Amatuer Electronics here in Wisconsin and its just an awsome unit he absolutely loves it considering he was gonna buy the Yaesu tuner that matched his FT-840 but after researching he also is the proud owner of the LDG AT-200

AudioShockwav said:
After spinning the dials on my Mighty Fine Junk 989-C for years, I gave in and got a AT-200 Pro Autotuner..... and it is "Da BomB"
Hooked it to the 897, plugged in the supplied cables, and it works great, in fact it is awesome!
Right now I have a I-10K and a Longwire up for HF and the tuner has 2 antenna inputs.
I stepped through the bands, and did a tune were I hang out at. The first time you tune it takes a few seconds of the relays buzzing, but once you have tuned it for the frequency you are going to use, the next time it will remember the setting and switch to it, one click. And its got like 16,000 memories in the thing. I am running it in auto-tune mode right now. Key up and start talking and if the SWR is above 1.7, it will retune without even touching it, even on SSB.
It sure beats cranking the knob on the MFJ.
It will not handle the power the 989 will, but for just running the radio, it has lots of headroom @ 250 watts.
So far,I am a happy camper!

Jeff

It SPOILS ya, don't it! :p I spun dials on my Heath 2040 (squeaky-squeaky-squeaky, whirrrrr) for years, tune and load, tune and load, check SWR. One day I just got tired of it! So I'd been white-eyeing the LDG for a while, so I took the plunge.
Mine is the AT100Pro. At first, I couldn't get used to the clickety-clack and ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIUP of the relays, and I thought something must be wrong with it. :D But no, it was simply doing what it was supposed to do. Once it "remembered" the settings, it usually made no sound at all----it was just THERE by the time you say "AH"! I felt kind of lost at first, too, because it felt like I was leaving something out by not tuning up the antenna or spinning dials. That went away pretty quick!
I doubt I would want to go back to the old way. I'm keeping my Heath, tho!

CWM

It SPOILS ya, don't it!

You bet it does, and I am loving it, you switch bands, key up and it is tuned, no thought involved!
I had a old project box in the junk drawer, had a holder in it for 8 "D" cells, that will run the tuner for months!
This is going to be an awesome camping rig, I have a home brew balun, the tuner, FT-897-D and a roll of wire.....outdoor Dx anyone? :D :D
As for the Old MFJ, I will keep it around. It still works just fine.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.