• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

leaky humorous waste containment cannister...

Not much of a backstory so I'll have to guess at most of it .
Not long ago a local electronics and computer recycling business alerted me to several loads of component parts arriving over the next few weeks. The first clue was cigar boxes. I sorted through box after box helping sort and price everything from ceramic tube sockets to oil filled capacitors to carbon comp resistors to air variable to ....
The estate looked much like my beginnings in the early '60's . It reminded me of my grandfather's collection of parts.
Eventually this appeared in the last load and I received the call. Basically I paid for the iron and the tubes .
What I see at first glance is a pair of United Electronics 811A's in GG. Tubes are early production , circa 1960 (black base , black plate, with vertical fin) . The separate transformer power supply contains what may very well be a refugee from one of Deny's early efforts. I have yet to measure any voltage but I assume it to be in the 1800 range.
Then it gets a bit odd. Beside the HV and the 12vdc relay source there are two other supplies that are possibly resting and operational bias. Would seem the best guess considering the vintage.
The grids are not directly grounded which is not unusual but concerning.
It also appears to have been used in the bottom of 40m near exclusively save for that alligator clip tap on the too small tank coil. Q is a bit sharp according the the MFJ ouija box .
The HV relay is something out of antiquity . The contacts will have to be burnished completely just to get down to any kind of usable contact.

I thought on this for a bit last night and really didn't come to any conclusion as to it's intended use. I did however eliminate a couple of possibilities.
Why go to the bother of any other than zero bias if a class "C" amp? This was probably initially a class "C" project that later was linearized for SSB service.
If not home brewed I suppose one of the Benton Harbor mono-banders drove this .
I would have liked to have seen the remaining station but that isn't going to happen.
I do have several uses for the supply and the RF deck but first I'll bring it up as is just to see what I can see about how it was.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.