1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

leaning toward the SPT 500

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by G GOLLY WAlly, Aug 16, 2020.

1. G GOLLY WAlly

G GOLLY WAlly WDX 719 / Waldo on AM

I had an Antron 99 back in early 90s been thinking of ordering the SPT 500, I've seen some video and pictures they seem to hold up in windy conditions that's a plus even though I'm on the Eastern side of Oklahoma we still get our fair share of wind. And the reviews I've seen are favorable, and the price doesn't seem bad either. just wanted some thoughts about this antenna from anyone that has experience with them. As far as I can tell it seems it would be a good choice.

Slowmover and binrat like this.

2. The Howler

The Howler Member

After 1 month in the air, no complaints at all with mine just 25' to the base. Had to bring it down and adjust several times, and settled at 22' 71/2" from the base to the top of the top hat screw. I painted mine, Rust-Oleum Camouflage deep forest green, to blend in with the trees in the back yard had no change in signal strength, or SWR.
    Happy with mine.

3. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

Howler, how long is the base element from the bottom of the base to the top of that 1st long element? I estimate it to be 72" inches, but I'm not sure. Plus is the mounting bracket length 12" inches and the width 2" x 4"?

G GOLLY WAlly and Slowmover like this.
  4. The Howler

The Howler Member

Marconi,
    Sorry, the antenna is up in the air at this time. Next time I have it down, I will document what you want, And let you know.
    Greg

Marconi likes this.
  5. Marconi

Thanks bud.

6. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

To my mind nothing else says CB RADIO BASE STATION as well as the classic Super Penetrator!!

G GOLLY WAlly likes this.
  7. The Howler

The Howler Member

I had my antenna down briefly to add a rf choke, Adjust total length down another 1/2" to get a closer SWR match, and to add another 2' in total height to the antenna off the ground.
    To answer a few of Marconi's questions:
    Standing on the ground, resting on the coax connector to top of first element, 74 5/8"
    Standing on the ground, resting on the coax connector to the bottom of the double clamped plate, 12 3/4"
    Forgot about measuring width.
    Hope this helps, Greg

tecnicoloco likes this.
  8. S&W357

S&W357 WDX-556 / 2NC556 $upporting Member

Does that thingamajig on the top actually have a functional purpose ?

Slowmover likes this.
  9. Marconi

Thanks Howler.

I fixed my radiator length. I had tapper in my model and the long bottom section of the radiator assembly was about 2" inches too short. My mounting bracket is still longer than the 12.75" you report, but that is a modification I will make later, after I'm sure about the other two dimensions in that piece.

My model gained a little and that might be good news.

According to my model at 36' feet the SP500 looks to possibly have some troublesome Common Mode Currents flowing on the mast.

Are you able to tell any difference adding your choke and 2" to the tip? Keep us posted on your results.

#9 Marconi, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  10. Marconi

Hey bud. I think the thingamajig is about making the tip of vertical antennas much larger than the typical sharp tip. Supposedly the idea is to help make the antenna less prone to lightening and static.

S&W357 likes this.
  11. S&W357

OK thanks for your reply.

12. The Howler

The Howler Member

I actually made the antenna itself 1/2” shorter, and pumped it up in the air plus 2’ to 27’ to the coax connection.
    So far, my receive appears to be a little quieter with the choke.
    As far as SWR, if I shorten Additional 1/4” I should be at 1.1 channel 1& 40 perfect. Next time it’s down.
    When the smoke finally clears, I’m going to tape A video camera to a adjustable pole, and see exactly what my antenna sees from the ridge I live on.

Marconi likes this.
  13. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Aura

(We find this sufficient as explanation)

G GOLLY WAlly and S&W357 like this.
  14. S&W357

...what I was thinking. Fluff

G GOLLY WAlly and Slowmover like this.
  15. Marconi

Here is a picture of the idea.

[​IMG]

Slowmover and S&W357 like this.