• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Legal Limit Solid State

I highly doubt anyone will ever build such an amp. Solid state modules capable of that power level pretty much all run on 50 volts and the old 12 volt bipolar transistors are going the way of the Dodo bird. There is just not enough demand for such power levels in a mobile.

Reactions: 1 person
I am sure if something shorted out and the car went up in flames the insurance company would have something to say about that amp in there.

That's their deal.
Most of the guys and gals who have these home built amps are very knowledgable when it comes to how they're hooked up and how they run them.

Reactions: 1 person
That's their deal.
Most of the guys and gals who have these home built amps are very knowledgable when it comes to how they're hooked up and how they run them.
I agree with you but and it it's a big but you would have an illegal device in your car that was built in someone garage with out any certification. Even if the device its self did not cause the fire I would bet the insurance company might be a bit hesitant about paying out. The only difference between ham and cb here is the ham has the legal right to build and use such device. Again the insurance company might not even care about the amp but it's something to think about. If anyone knows better about this please jump in. For me my 100 watt 706 is all I need mobile.

You're right on the legality and insurance standpoint but this is the southeast. People are way less prone to be concerned with FCC rules and regulations.

No different than having a big stereo system. Insurance unlikely to give a crap, unless the owner goes out of his way to blame the fire on his amp.

Or... The insurance adjuster is an old curmudgeon ham.

I know a guy that builds competition 11 meter amps, but he fiddles around with more techie experiments. He's pretty well known for quality builds, and has done some of the newer style mosfet high powered amps. I've thought about asking him to make a fully filtered multi band mobile amp, but I didn't want more than about 500 watts. I figured by the time he built it, it would have been just as easy to get an Ameritron. Don't have General yet anyway, so it's kind of a moot point!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.