• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Let's Make Some Companion Parts

OK, I have KiCad on my Mac, I believe it can generate the Gerber file mentioned. I have a PC here in the shop but I really don't want to use it, I'd rather use my Mac.

I'll assume most people use a Windows based program, which do you use? Where can I get a crash course in this and design this thing? And where can I get the PCB made, who do you suggest? I've seen a few places by searching with Google but there's a lot of them. One is here in NC and I kinda thought about using them.

Far as making these things with regular size parts and cobbling it together, I assume 1/4 watt pieces is what you guys use?

Attached is a project for version 5.
Personally I use either Altium or KiCad.

I will do a lot of things in KiCad because it's something anyone can download unlike Altium where you need to pay thousands of dollars for a license.

As far as manufacturing I have used American Circuits in NC a couple times and they were fine but that's when I needed it "now" and they could do it.
It's going to cost you. Use a Chinese board house like EasyEDA, Elecrow, OSH Park and so on to save money.

In KiCad you open the pcb then file -> plot
This will generate the gerbers and drill files.
You need the parameters from the board house but if you don't know who to use you can use pcbshopper to get prices.

I would find a PCB house you want to use and ask them to panelize the boards and do a v cut or mousebites so what you end up with is a panel that you can break apart.
(v cut is better and doesn't tear up their drill)

And... 0603s are 1/10 watt parts.
If you want 1/4 watt you need 1206s - those are pretty big.
For what this is doing I don't think you need 1/4 watt resistors.

Attachments

• ENCompanionParts.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 2
Wow. Thanks Martian. I really appreciate all that. Thank you. Most of what you said is new to me and I’ll have to learn and figure it out.

I was meaning 1/4 watt parts for building the thing with through-hole parts. If 1/10 watt parts will work for the SMD pieces, I’m fine with that. I figured this would be an expensive project but I prefer having something in a small package like the original pieces, so I’m willing to invest in it.

I’ll look into the places you’ve mentioned. I have a few other projects that I wanted boards for but never knew I could get my own made.

For what it is, its more expensive than bodging the thruhole parts in.
I am betting < $30 for 100 of them in a panel.
pcbshopper has an estimate from OSH Park of like $13

I’ll pay $30 for 100 of them but $13 is much better. I’ll have to buy a large quantity anyway cause I’m sure I’ll screw up several trying to solder surface mount stuff. New to that. I do own a hot air station though, that was planning for the future I guess.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.