• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lightning protection

fisjr

Apr 21, 2011
NEW JERSEY
Simple question, should i disconnect the coax from the radio and run it to my ground buss. i was thinking of putting 3 so239 both sheild and center conductor bolted to my buss

Let me refrase this a little, when i disconnect my coax i just let it hang or should i put it to ground. years ago i got hit and the lightning came out the end of the disconnected coax and grounded to my piping under my sink.

Let me refrase this a little, when i disconnect my coax i just let it hang or should i put it to ground. years ago i got hit and the lightning came out the end of the disconnected coax and grounded to my piping under my sink.

Do not connect it to any part of your home.

Drive a separate ground rod for your shack.

You might connect a jumper from that rod and connect the coax from the antenna to it if you like.

mackmobile43;339582[B said:
]Do not connect[/B] it to any part of your home.

Drive a separate ground rod for your shack.

You might connect a jumper from that rod and connect the coax from the antenna to it if you like.

NO! NO! NO! ALL grounds should be tied togeather at one COMMON point(y)

Reactions: 1 person
Follow up to my last. I have three 14 foot copper coated ground rods 10 feet apart. have 1/0 bare copper tied to each rod the to all three legs of the tower. then i have a 2 gauge solid copper wire tied to my homes service ground. then i have a 2 gauge solid wire coming into my house hooked up to a copper buss plate where all my equipment is case grounded IE. radio,amp,meter and freq counter.

Reactions: 1 person
Follow up to my last. I have three 14 foot copper coated ground rods 10 feet apart. have 1/0 bare copper tied to each rod the to all three legs of the tower. then i have a 2 gauge solid copper wire tied to my homes service ground. then i have a 2 gauge solid wire coming into my house hooked up to a copper buss plate where all my equipment is case grounded IE. radio,amp,meter and freq counter.

sounds pretty much exactly per NEC,....

I would add the "3 so239 both sheild and center conductor bolted to my buss " as you stated earlier.

Not a party person myself . . .
wives1.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.