• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Limiter on Uniden 68elite

preacherman

Feb 21, 2006
Northern Illinois
I have been operating under the assumption that this board is like the
Cobra 25 and the Uniden PC66...but cannot seem to find D9. I also
can't find schematics or mod sheets on this radio. Anyone care to share?
tnx,
preacherman

preacherman said:
tnx,
preacherman

Its the same radio basicaly.
D9 is probably hidden, either under a bunch of wires or the part is covering the markings.
You can just remove the AMC vr if you cant find it or adjust it wide open.
Same thing really.
I think on those radios its under the Big transformer about 1" down.
I forget.

preacherman said:
tnx,
preacherman

Not sure what your after here P-Man ? No need to clip that radio , just turn VR-5 all the way up and your good to go , Yes you can clip it , but it really isn't going to get you much more audio if that's what your looking for ? if your thinking of running a hot box with the radio as well ? once you turn the power down to 1 or 2 watts with VR-5 up all the way ,the freak'in audio will more then likely be off the charts as it would with the limiter clipped , You with me so far ? You still have the mic gain on the radio you can work with if need be . The numbers we think we see aren't always telling us the truth , but the truth doesn't always matter , it's the operator and how happy he or she may be with any results. Peace

Understood. I was working on a radio for a
guy who was interested only in what the
wattmeter said. I quote: "Every radio I have
every owned has been clipped." As it is,
he had to settle for 6 watts swinging to
22...and yes, the radio sounded great.
thanks...
preacherman

may not be perfect by others standards , but that sounds just about cotten pick'in right to me P-Man , good deal ! ;)

Clipping is ugly, removing a part is better, but 99.9% of the time
turning the VR for the amc wide open completely disables it.

I truely doubt that many care Libby :p it just don't have to a be a perfect world. Around these parts , at many times , your damned if you do and your damned if you don't. You ether walk the line or you don't . ;) Peace

"turning the VR for the amc wide open completely disables it."

wrong. only a value of resistance much greater than that represented by the upper limit of the VR range will disable it. that's exactly why the AMC is disabled when you remove the VR from the board, under these conditions resistance at the VR terminating connections is infinite.

when you adjust the AMC to increase modulation the value of the resistance at VR increases, not decreases. if it were otherwise you would have to replace the VR control with a (zero resistance) jumper at the terminating connections.

just turn your vr wide open, you wont be able to notice the difference between the 2 and its easier to adjust the vr backdown if you ever wanted to do any changes. the clipping would require a soldering iron.

better freecell to explain it then I . I may not be a perfectionist , but IM not a clipper , not because of Enstiens theroy's and why , I don't like the way the audio sounds on radios that are clipped especially if you plan on sounding good on SSB (if that's the case ?) , Now I have no built in O-Scope in my brain , but my ear acts as if I can hear the differents on many , especially the ones I've experimented on , they simply would go from a clear telephone quality sound to a raspy yelling female PM'sing. You can really hear the dif ! Will I turn a VR up all the way , yes and no , it just depends , I have never ever found any reason to remove a AMC VR , What for ? if you can basically over modulate the radio by cranking it up , why remove it ? and if the radio has a AMC VR in the first place , why in the hell would anyone clip it in the first place ? I know, I know, I know !!NEVERMIND ! There are some very much older radios I have had the opertunaty to "play" with , clipping the resistor on them did not sound bad to my ear and nor (if much ?) take them over 100% modulation .......no big deal to me. Yeah sure you could add a resistor inline or change a resistor to another value if it really means that much to you. The only time I ever removed a VR was a power one , only to add a variable pot to it for controlling the drive. Although I do like Swing kits and NPC mods when amps are involved , they still basically do the same "damned" thing. IM also aware that even though a radio may have a mic gain control and you can turn things down to a degree , it still doesn't change a damned thing as far as the scopes are concerned ! a clipped limiter or resistor / a AMC VR maxed out /swing kits / npc mods/, and reads over modulated .....IS STILL OVER MODULATED ! now , all this over modulation can be basically masked to sound very good to the naked ear.......How might that be ? well , power mic's usually are the tough go , stock mic's and NC mic's will help make you sound pretty good to the naked ear and maybe add a nice decent echo board or mic will help the situation as well........chances are ,your still going to have to turn things DOWN to get your best sound of a already over modualted radio. Go figure huh ? it's all about those imaginary numbers that so many of us love to read :p Hey !! leave it not to the ole Switch Kit to rain on anybodies meters parade :p If your stuff works for you and your happy with it ? That's all that really matters to me. Freecell just tells you the way it is , and he's not lying to you , it just is ,what it is ,and the rest is your choice.......in the end.......it always seems to add up to the same ole thing for me. I don't talk to machines , I talk to people. That is my cop out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.