• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lincoln 2+ Power adjustments

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
looking in to getting a Lincoln 2+ in a few day but i want to make sure i can turn down the power inside so i dont blow up my KL-503 that i turned in to a high drive so it can take 25W in to get full power out ect.
Are the AM, FM and SSB power adjustments labeled on the PCB? if not any one have a link to the service manual or what pots to turn down the power down to drive the amp?

On my older version the pots were labeled. Be careful because they feel cheap. Also they are continuous rotation voltage adjustment tapering which I didn't like.

Mine was off frequency on SSB which can only be adjusted in engineering mode by selecting numeric values. The manual won't show how to get to that mode because you can screw up the radio because there is no default reset in engineering mode. Be sure to take notes where each setting is before any adjustments are made.

Engineering mode can be entered at power up by holding the correct series of buttons while powering up the radio.

Keep this for future reference. This maybe different for your newer version though. This one worked with my Lincoln 2 non plus series.

LincolnMenuFunctions_zpsdcb42173.jpg

looking in to getting a Lincoln 2+ in a few day but i want to make sure i can turn down the power inside so i dont blow up my KL-503 that i turned in to a high drive so it can take 25W in to get full power out ect.
Are the AM, FM and SSB power adjustments labeled on the PCB? if not any one have a link to the service manual or what pots to turn down the power down to drive the amp?

Reactions: KD2GOE
On my older version the pots were labeled. Be careful because they feel cheap. Also they are continuous rotation voltage adjustment tapering which I didn't like.

Mine was off frequency on SSB which can only be adjusted in engineering mode by selecting numeric values. The manual won't show how to get to that mode because you can screw up the radio because there is no default reset in engineering mode. Be sure to take notes where each setting is before any adjustments are made.

Engineering mode can be entered at power up by holding the correct series of buttons while powering up the radio.

Keep this for future reference. This maybe different for your newer version though. This one worked with my Lincoln 2 non plus series.

View attachment 32772

thanks i seen some one talking about that ill keep that in mind!
yeah i have the plastic adjustment tools for it. i ordered the radio i just wanted to have the info before i got it :D

Thats what i am looking for! thanks!

Last edited:
There’s a thread on it here:

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/key-line-in-a-lincoln-ii.249098/

Didn’t end up with a design exactly as I planned, but it works well and I am happy with it. About to add the same in my second Lincoln for running in the house.

With all the stuff I don’t need in a radio...I wish President would include this as a feature.

that's what i thought it was for supper cool i do that to all my radios with a 3.5mm headphone jack out the back..
I tap a small resistor and a optocoupler and a 2n2222 transistor off of the TX light and send a 5v high single to the amp through a 3.5mm headphone jack i installed in the amp.
when i plug in the 3.5mm plug it bypasses the internal sense line and keys the amp up with the 5v. when there is nothing plugged in the amp it defaults back to the RF keying.

when i do it to the Lincoln ii+ ill see if there is a line in the radio that will go high when in TX and tap off that or use.. ill read the post when i go home.

that's what i thought it was for supper cool i do that to all my radios with a 3.5mm headphone jack out the back..
I tap a small resistor and a optocoupler and a 2n2222 transistor off of the TX light and send a 5v high single to the amp through a 3.5mm headphone jack i installed in the amp.
when i plug in the 3.5mm plug it bypasses the internal sense line and keys the amp up with the 5v. when there is nothing plugged in the amp it defaults back to the RF keying.

when i do it to the Lincoln ii+ ill see if there is a line in the radio that will go high when in TX and tap off that or use.. ill read the post when i go home.

Good deal. I’m 100% newbie to this kind of mod, but I’m damn sure I’ll never run another RF keyed amp.

Would love to hear any contributions to the subject, radio specific or not!

For mine I decided that a set of contacts that closed on TX gave me the most options down the road, so I tried to stick with that theme.

getting things ready radio should be here next tuesday or wednesday just got this ASTATIC D104M6B mic today in the mail so i did a delete battery mod i do this to a lot of mics i use..
my Radio Shack HTX-10 has the same pin out to the Lincoln 2+ so i setup this mic to run of the 12v on pin6 to a 8v reg i have like 30 of them

lslAqKI.jpg

Is there an adjustment for the meter. On full power when I key up the radio on AM the meter does not show full scale. Not even when I talk into the mic. On my external watt meter I'm getting full power. I wonder if it's a setting in the engineer menu.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.