• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lincoln II v3+.. as a back up..

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Since my new RCI-2950CD is out getting the display fixed for 4-6 weeks per RCI warranty repair center I was thinking of getting a Lincoln II v3+ to run as a base with my TS350 and A99..

I have a local shop that's going to order it in, tune-it, and match my TS amp to it for me for $350 shipped.. (including my TS350 back to me)..

Any suggestions for the Lincoln II?

I have an incoming DM452 power mic which I may try with this (with 4-6 pin adapter)..

Anything else to note??

What's the receive like compared to the RCI?? Any drift with the Lincoln??

If it's a local shop why not just drive over there and pick the radio up. If not local just have them set the radio for 1.75 watt dead key on AM with 8-10 watts peak, and then 10-12 watts PEP on SSB and you should be golden with your TS350. I don't understand why you would ship your amp to them for this.

I also believe that a decent watt meter and dummy load would pay for themselves in short order when playing the export game.

In reality you would be better off getting a ham rig for a back-up. You are already experiencing the problem with exports, and it likely won't get any better. Even if you had amp problems, your station would be lacking, but not with a 100 watt radio.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

If it's a local shop why not just drive over there and pick the radio up. If not local just have them set the radio for 1.75 watt dead key on AM with 8-10 watts peak, and then 10-12 watts PEP on SSB and you should be golden with your TS350. I don't understand why you would ship your amp to them for this.

No tools, no dummy load, and wondering if my TS350 is off abit. The TS350 with 2w input according to my last radio was giving me a 110w dk. Which I don't want, I want a max of 80w dk with the TS350.

The shop is local as in PA like me, but like 2 hours away and sells the Lincoln.

I did message BellsCB and they said they could do there tune-up and such and do that as well. 1.5w and max of 20w swing settings.. and they would be $40 cheaper than the guy here in PA.

Last edited:
I also believe that a decent watt meter and dummy load would pay for themselves in short order when playing the export game.

In reality you would be better off getting a ham rig for a back-up. You are already experiencing the problem with exports, and it likely won't get any better. Even if you had amp problems, your station would be lacking, but not with a 100 watt radio.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Just bought a MFJ822 and unsure of accuracy based on the fact on RCI saying 2w dk but TS350 saying 110w dk. Also no tools or dummy load.

I have a 100w Alinco as I have my ham ticket but when using before prior to the RCI picks up alot or RF even when on the same A99. Also I can't pump the Alinco safely thru my TS350 even at low wattage settings as I'm getting wacky numbers on the meters in AM mode and I don't want to blow the TS350 or the Alinco.

I've been running a lincoln for quite a while now and have never had any issues with the latest version. Very solid on SSB, no drift, fun radio. I also run a McKinley - which if it had extra frequencies would be my #1 choice for radio all-time.

Reactions: Slowmover
Are you saying the alinco is faulty, or you are looking for a less sensitive radio? As I'm sure you know, the difference between 100 watts and 300 watts is totally insignificant on 10/11 meters.

When running the Alinco on say low which is 4w and TS350 on makes my external 822 meter jump and shows 1.3 SWR when normally I'm at 1-1 with all the other rigs.. could be because I'm routing thru the 941e first in bypass mode on antenna 2 connection and maybe the 941e meter is getting deflection or vice versa.

With the TS350 off and full AM of 40w and or 100w SSB the Alinco seems fine other than alot of RF noise as the NB on the Alinco sucks.. and there is no ANL on it..

Could also be I have the Alinco and TS350 on same 30/33 amp PS and it's taxing the crap out of it..

Usually the CB/10m rig is on the 12amp Astron and the TS350 on the 30/33amp.. I never run the Alinco with the CB on.. not trying to overload the frontend.

The noise on the Alinco is like S5 even on LSB with the NB on.. with the regular CB/10m rigs I get S2 or so with the NB and ANL on.

The only change is the radio.. same A99 on top.. and extra routing thru the 941e and extra jumpers..

Trying to get the Alinco HF only and not use as 11m..

I looks like you are still struggling with meter readings and proper amp setup. That likely won't change with a different radio. For the cost of a new radio you could get a good meter and a dummy load to be able to get the rci running with the amp. Are you really going to miss anything on 11m while the rci is being repaired?

I looks like you are still struggling with meter readings and proper amp setup. That likely won't change with a different radio. For the cost of a new radio you could get a good meter and a dummy load to be able to get the rci running with the amp. Are you really going to miss anything on 11m while the rci is being repaired?

The 822 seemed to be reading fine with the RCI and TS350.. other than the high DK with amp on.

I think the extra coax and going thru the 941e isn't helping the situation.

I will unroute the 941e this afternoon when wife and baby are out and go direct from Alinco DXSR-8T to the amp to the 822 to A99 and report back.

PS. Looking at dummy loads now.. at least 100w one would let me figure out the DK..

A 100 watt dummy load and your average reading meter would work fine for setting dead key. Elsewhere you mentioned modulation of over 300 average out of your amp. That should far exceed the pep you would want to see out of that amp, but who knows what it actually is. Unless you have plenty of funds to buy a new amp, why risk blowing it up to save $220 on equipment to monitor the station. Not to mention that the same $220 would work with a 1000 watt ham amp.

A 100 watt dummy load and your average reading meter would work fine for setting dead key. Elsewhere you mentioned modulation of over 300 average out of your amp. That should far exceed the pep you would want to see out of that amp, but who knows what it actually is. Unless you have plenty of funds to buy a new amp, why risk blowing it up to save $220 on equipment to monitor the station. Not to mention that the same $220 would work with a 1000 watt ham amp.

My former friend runs 4w into his and has a 180w dk and swings well beyond 300. Told him he needs to be at 2w and about 80-90w and he blocked me..

Okay. Took the MFJ941e out of picture.

Now on AM S-Low on Alinco I get 1.5-1.75w DK and 60-65 with amp on, the MFJ822 is the meter..

On AM Low I get a hair over 10w DK and 210w DK with quick keyup.

On SSB on Low on Alinco I get 10w key up with 1khz tone from phone and same 210w for a carrier. My voice has the meter swinging 90-110w on the MFJ822 meter. Much like the RCI.

Running the Alinco NB and Narrow filfer I get 3# of noise floor. :(

Reactions: Slowmover
My former friend runs 4w into his and has a 180w dk and swings well beyond 300. Told him he needs to be at 2w and about 80-90w and he blocked me..

That's ok his amp will run very hot and some time soon he will knock the keying transistor out. And if he uses the variable on the amp like that he will burn a spot on the variable pot as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.