• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Listening to Hams on a scanner

deadgoon42

Nov 28, 2006
I have recently developed an interest in Amateur Radio. It was recommended to me to get a scanner so I could listen in on Ham frequencies until I could learn more and get my license and some good equipment. What kind of scanner would I need to listen to ham frequencies? Is it rude to listen in on voice traffic? How much can you hear with a scanner?

Any basic scanner will do I prefer 800Mgz capable scanners but a general scanner will do I have 4 scanners and monitor some of the area repeaters. Radio Shack has good deals on Scanners aswell as Uniden which you can pick up one of those for under $100.00 between $70.00 and $80.00 here is some helpful information on ham frequencies as far as monitoring (29.0000 - 29.7000 10 Meter) (50.000 - 54.000 6 Meter) (144.000 -148.000 2 meter) (420.000 - 450.000 70 cm)

deadgoon42 said:
What kind of scanner would I need to listen to ham frequencies? Is it rude to listen in on voice traffic? How much can you hear with a scanner?

Any scanner that can receive 29-512MHz which will cover 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters, 1.25 meters, and 70CM (you can monitor simplex or repeaters.

Here is a link for a chart:
Ham Bands

You can hear local communications easily on a scanner on those bands listed above (depending on your antenna). Of course a general coverage receiver you will be able to monitor the frequencies below 29MHz.

ARRL makes a handy little booklet on repeaters (frequencies) listed by state.

Or check here:
Repeaters

only thing is
most scanners will not recieve HF or lower VHF well

typiclly a scanner(or high end recievers) is fairly deaf/blind below 100 Mhz

one can over come this a bit if one uses a antenna better designed for the HF or low VHF frequency's (whether portable or base)

However for 2 meters 1.25 meters and 70 cm
a scanner or reciever can be a good way to listen in on ham radio

one may find interest in it and can then get their licence if they were so inclined

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.