• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Little Tarheel II

Quiksilver

Oct 23, 2006
Washington State, USA
Anyone running, or had experience with the Little Tarheel II? If I do go the route I mentioned in my other post, I would run this (or similar) antenna mounted on the bracket on the back of my cab.
Thoughts kindly….

I use the Little Tarheel II with an FT-857 and a N2VZ Turbo Tuner.

I needed a small antenna and first tried the Yaesu ATA-120. While very convenient, and it worked, I didn't make many contacts with it. In comparison the Little Tarheel is better. Both of these antennas are small so they are not very efficient.

I'm using the Diamond KC-400 mount. I ran copper braid from the mount to the hinge of the hatch door on my Subaru. It tunes easily on 80-10.

You won't bust any pile ups with the Tarheel II but it does work.

Good luck.

I don't own a Tarheel antenna so can't give any direct opinion either way. I do have another brand of screwdriver antenna and can say that it certainly works. Better than the Tarheel? Beats me, but I'm happy with it. I have no reason to think you wouldn't be 'happy' with a Tarheel, lots of people are.
- 'Doc

I had a Little Tarheel II many years ago. I owned it for about a year before I sold it and went with a full sized Tarheel. I could certainly tell the difference between the two antennas. However, the big mobile antennas are a major pain to install and keep in working order because of the structural support requirements. If I wanted to get a small HF antenna again, I would get either the Little Tarheel II or the Hi-Q 2.5/80.

Hey Moleculo,
just a quick question since you had both. Is there noticeable difference between the Tarheel that you had and the HiQ? It seems like the Hi Q will allow a shorter or possibly no top whip with a cap hat?? on certain bands say 10-40 or 80 with s shorter whip?
I noticed there's quite a difference in price I believe.
I have the ATAS120A and have made many contacts, but I think I must have been lucky to get a good one apparently, though I'm not sure it's as efficient as single band hamstick for the band in use.
Thanks

Hey Moleculo,
just a quick question since you had both. Is there noticeable difference between the Tarheel that you had and the HiQ? It seems like the Hi Q will allow a shorter or possibly no top whip with a cap hat?? on certain bands say 10-40 or 80 with s shorter whip?
I noticed there's quite a difference in price I believe.
I have the ATAS120A and have made many contacts, but I think I must have been lucky to get a good one apparently, though I'm not sure it's as efficient as single band hamstick for the band in use.
Thanks

The Hi-Q that I have is a full sized 4/80. I based my recommendation on the 2.5/80 based on that experience.

With any of these screwdriver style antennas, you can place a cap hat above the coil to either make the antenna more efficient or use with a shortened whip. Try to get the hat at least 1 foot above the coil.

Well I ended up getting the little Tarheel II for my car and the 100HP for my box truck at the Ft Wayne In hamfest. Now if it would quit raining.

Well I ended up getting the little Tarheel II for my car and the 100HP for my box truck at the Ft Wayne In hamfest. Now if it would quit raining.

Cool! Take pics of the install and let us see it when you're done!

For years I tried HF mobile, ham sticks, homebrew mono band antennas and a couple of the expensive screwdriver type antennas including the ATAS 120A. Came to the conclusion that small mobile antennas just don't work well and are not cost effective. I run a $12 102" ss whip now and 10 meters only mobile and love it.

I just can't justify paying $400 plus for a mobile antenna that will only perform on a mediocre level at best and only if it's mounted properly; something most of can't do for one reason or another. It's a price we pay to run HF moblie I guess.

Will do. I'm going to mount it on the upper side of the box in the front corner.
I purchased the cap hat so I can run a 3' whip and cover the bands well
and not have to worry about whacking bridges. :)

Cool! Take pics of the install and let us see it when you're done!

Yes! Please!!

Another Q. Do you still need to run a tuner with the screwdriver.

No tuner necessary. Talking with WB0W, Gaylen who designs the Tarheel,
was telling me the best way is just put the radio in FM/AM tune to the loudest
noise level and it'll be 1:5 or less. OR, just use the radio's swr meter, low power and tune it after the suggestion above to be sure. He was telling me he didn't particularly care to run a memory controller as things change a bit as he just tuned as above and for him it was quicker. I guess as you get get experienced with it, he doesn't even check the swr, just by sound.
I did buy the controller with the counter, so I can write down the numbers of different spots, since the box truck is a bit noisier than my Flex.
I've noticed several guys/gals on their vehicles the had marks on the outer clear case where each band is tuned.

For years I tried HF mobile, ham sticks, homebrew mono band antennas and a couple of the expensive screwdriver type antennas including the ATAS 120A. Came to the conclusion that small mobile antennas just don't work well and are not cost effective. I run a $12 102" ss whip now and 10 meters only mobile and love it.

I just can't justify paying $400 plus for a mobile antenna that will only perform on a mediocre level at best and only if it's mounted properly; something most of can't do for one reason or another. It's a price we pay to run HF moblie I guess.

I've been running the hamsticks, but I just got tired of stopping and switching.
I run a lot of 12, 15 and 17m as well as 10. I've got great ground and counterpoise on my box truck and I've done really well with the ATAS120A.
I just wanted to try working some 75m, yeah, price for another band.
It's only money.:cry:
Looking around making sure my xyl didn't see that statement.
My only place on my Flex with be on the hood. The Tarheel II looks like a bigger, fancy, FM radio antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.