• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Little Wil mobile antenna

radiomaniacc

Jan 30, 2010
Hi to all,

Just want to ask, how good this antenna is ? compared to other same category antennas ? It would be usable for 10m ?

Thanks !! ;)

Honestly, I would save some more money and get the Wilson 1000.
You will never have to question that purchase.
The Lil Wil or the Wilson 500 just aren't in the same league.
The Wilson 1000 and Wilson 5000 are pretty much the same thing as far as quality goes. The Wilson 5000 can handle more watts than the 1000 can.
I wouldn't bother with the Lil Wil - IMO...

I agree the wilson 1000 will walk all over the lil will and it will handle more watts. Also a 102' whip is an exellent antenna. Hope this helped.

For a back-up, part time, or vacation use antenna the Lil Wil and K-30 are exellent little antennas for the money. For full time use follow the suggestions above.

Thank you guys for the info. My problem is space on the vehicle. A wilson 1000 would be too long. That's why I get curious about the little wil. I know that between the 2 should be some difference in performance, but never tought it is so marked lol. I will keep looking for alternatives !!!

I have both the 1000, and the Lil' Wil. They are night, and day in performance. The Lil' Wil is also VERY deaf on the receive end compared to the 1000.

Tested the Wilson 1000 against a 1/4wl whip, a Hamstick and a Firestik 5' w/tunable tip.

Surprisingly, the 5' Firestik kept up with the 102" Stainless Steel whip and both beat the Hamstick & Wilson 1000.

The Hamstick beat the Wilson but by only a little, however, the Wilson 1000 was the noisiest of the batch, so much so that I won't use it anymore.

73zzzzz

Speaking of Hamstick, could this antenna be mounted on the balcony of a apartment and have decent performance on 10m ? Also recently I saw what apprears to be a copy of the Hamstick antenna on Ebay, by the name Procomm. Did anyone have had any experience with it ??

Yes, but you would need a counterpoise or ground return. A 1/4 wave wire hanging at a diagonal would be sufficient, though you may be too close to the building for decent performance, and interactance with the building might give you multiple headaches such as high swr and/or RF in the audio.

I stick with Lakeview Hamsticks, the original, though I've heard good things about Procomm.

Speaking of Hamstick, could this antenna be mounted on the balcony of a apartment and have decent performance on 10m

I guess it depends on what you mean by "decent". If you want to get on the air and have some fun, sure it will work. Will it be as good as a full sized antenna? Of course not. BTW, I had a Lil' Wil' that I would put on my wife's car every once in a while. The range on that antenna is pretty limiting, even when compared to a 4' or 5' Firestik or Wilson Silverload.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "decent". If you want to get on the air and have some fun, sure it will work. Will it be as good as a full sized antenna? Of course not. BTW, I had a Lil' Wil' that I would put on my wife's car every once in a while. The range on that antenna is pretty limiting, even when compared to a 4' or 5' Firestik or Wilson Silverload.

Today I got the opportunity to test one os these Little Wil. My first tought: vague on RX... Don't had enough time to test on TX so can't tell. My goal is mobile DX so it won't be of much help.

As you say moleculo, I just want to get on the air and have some fun operating from my apartment. I have tested different setups without good results. Maybe this hamstick antenna could work! ;)

Today I got the opportunity to test one os these Little Wil. My first tought: vague on RX... Don't had enough time to test on TX so can't tell. My goal is mobile DX so it won't be of much help.

As you say moleculo, I just want to get on the air and have some fun operating from my apartment. I have tested different setups without good results. Maybe this hamstick antenna could work! ;)

Try making a horizontal dipole out of wire for 10 meters. Tape it to the roof in your apartment if you have to. Hell, try making one for 20 meters. Or try a loop. There are a lot of wire antennas you can try...have fun and experiment. It doesn't have to cost much more than wire.

Try making a horizontal dipole out of wire for 10 meters. Tape it to the roof in your apartment if you have to. Hell, try making one for 20 meters. Or try a loop. There are a lot of wire antennas you can try...have fun and experiment. It doesn't have to cost much more than wire.

...brings to mind an antenna I once made while staying in an apt for a few months

Center-fed 1/2 wave dipole bent / folded into a square on the wall and over lapping a little onto the ceiling (9' x 9' square) fed on one side 1/2 way up from the floor, but with the opposite end from the feed point open about 5".

It took a 1/4wl of 75ohm to match it, but I got great performance off to the sides, ("ends"?) - not broadside. I had to take a N-S pattern instead of E-W but it still got me on the air from inside with impressive performance using almost invisible 30gauge lacquer coated transformer wire and scotch tape.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.