• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Little will coax issue

Cruiseomatic

Dark side of the Sun.
Dec 28, 2011
Got a little will and the thing will never tune correctly, has terrible receive, and if you move the coax, things change. The base inside looks fine, Had the PL-259 changed to a real one, Same. This one was purchased in 2012. I have another I bought in '08 and it somehow is ALWAYS tuned for 1.5 or less across 40. Could the first one have a bad coax and the center conductor is broke and the second just lossy as hell even though it seems to work great? I bought these after being told wilson made some of the best antennas. Then after I got the second, Learned they were bought out by barjan....
I have a 18' stretch of coax. Should I cut it in two evenly and use it to "rebuild" these two or just scrap them and get like a K40 or something?

I don't know if there is or not either. Permanent at this time is not an option either. Yeah, I know. Not many options at all. But size of the little will and mag mount. I don't think momma bear wants me to start drilling in her 2012 Escape for an antenna that will mostly RX. Although, I have thought about mounting a 2 ft FS2 to the luggage rack and tilting it back to about a 45* angle and run 2 10 ga wires down to the rack mounting bolt locations for a ground. Have no idea if it would work either.

Where the coax enters the vehicle through the door or tailgate/trunk lid it can get crushed resulting in an internal dead short.

Assuming the coax is OK things changing when you move the coax suggests poor RF grounding.

In regards to poor receive, all short mobile antennas are as deaf as a post. Can't beat physics. A 3ft antenna has just 25% of the efficiency of a 6ft one.

Where the coax enters the vehicle through the door or tailgate/trunk lid it can get crushed resulting in an internal dead short.

Assuming the coax is OK things changing when you move the coax suggests poor RF grounding.

In regards to poor receive, all short mobile antennas are as deaf as a post. Can't beat physics. A 3ft antenna has just 25% of the efficiency of a 6ft one.

No, What it was is the stinger mount wasn't making good contact with the loading coil. It no longer does it after I tore it down and cleaned/rebuilt it. Although some upgrades are in order...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.