• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LMR-400 for Ham Radio/cb radio

I use genuine Times Microwave LMR400. Been in service for over ten years now. I will buy it again when I redo my cable run. It has a ten year warranty so if you break it down to yearly cost it's kind of affordable.

For some reason I thought the genuine lmr400 was more expensive. $1.26 a foot at dx engineering vs 99 cents a foor for the Jefatech stuff. I think the cheap stuff is getting more expensive so I've changed my mind. Buy the name brand stuff.

You get what you pay for. And wirh times microwave, andrew, etc your not just paying for the name. Their transmission line is very high quality and made to strict standards. I wouldnt use anything else myself.especially when running very high power levels, rg just dont cut it
Unfortunately I had a report from a life long local that he had to replace his LMR400UF twice because the casing separated and slid down. I read several other complaints about it not tolerating extreme sunlight in southern regions and im in central Florida with Eastern exposure. I wasnt taking any chances.

Reactions: Slowmover
Being that CB is an HF band, RG 213 is still the better choice due to the coax being all copper center conductor and copper shield which was designed to carry the larger wave length of HF up to 30 mHz. Solid copper is an excellent conductor for power transmission and ground.

LMR is copper clad and was intended for the shorter wavelength VHF frequencies and beyond where the losses increase significantly at 100ft lengths and more over HF.

The "spec" readers tend to favor LMR because dB losses and velocity factors look better but at HF frequencies, it's hardly an issue.

If the best spec's is what you want, go with 1/2 inch Heliax. I doubt you'll notice a difference but you'll sleep better at night knowing you have the best coax in town. :D

Depends on how long your run of coax is.
I have the EU equiv
alent of it here on all HF antenna's Aircom plus copper foil and thick copper wire braid.
Good connectors, bought cheap roll of 300 feet or so 15 years back still as new, checked a run from the roof still within specifications, outside still as new after wiping down and no water ingress because i used good connectors and self amalgamating tape.
Your antenna system is as good as the weakest link...

Being that CB is an HF band, RG 213 is still the better choice due to the coax being all copper center conductor and copper shield which was designed to carry the larger wave length of HF up to 30 mHz. Solid copper is an excellent conductor for power transmission and ground.

LMR is copper clad and was intended for the shorter wavelength VHF frequencies and beyond where the losses increase significantly at 100ft lengths and more over HF.

The "spec" readers tend to favor LMR because dB losses and velocity factors look better but at HF frequencies, it's hardly an issue.

If the best spec's is what you want, go with 1/2 inch Heliax. I doubt you'll notice a difference but you'll sleep better at night knowing you have the best coax in town. :D
I have 1/2" Eupen heliax. Found about 2000 feet my roomies dad was going to scrap out. One new spool and one almost full. I made him stop and ive been selling it by the foot and splitting the money with the old man. $1/foot U-Pick Up
Unfortunately i can't use it with my Pneumatic tower.

Not having that problem, just running anywhere from 100 to 1000 watts through the Aircom Plus, which it handles without a hickup.
That last 500 watts won't make the difference, not planning to replace the Heathkit SB-1000, i did a full rebuild here and new 3-500ZG, so that should work for the next xx years.
Mostly running 600 to 700 watts out, antenna's all resonant from 160 to 10 meters and 6 meters.
On 30 MHz it still can handle 2500 watts, so I'm quite safe there.
Longest run 60 feet to the Imax 2000 so loss there 0.3 dB.
RG213 would be 0.7 dB loss.
Price just a tad higher, so why introduce extra losses?

Reactions: Staybolt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.