• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Local in person auction pays off for some good CBs.

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
Today my brother sent me a picture of a couple of radios and asked if I wanted to throw a bid at them. He and his family were at one of the local auctions a couple of towns over. I of course wanted them! A bit sad that nobody even wanted to throw a bid at them, so my sister in law got them for a whopping $6.

Will mess with them either later tonight or tomorrow once I get my hands on them.

Good ol 858 Chassis radios. :) 6 Dolla Radios Auction 2024.jpg

Better get some caps from Klondike Mike, Those will need them for sure but well worth the effort
100% In the last few years I did buy Nichicon caps off Mouser .com . Just would buy various values and try to keep them stocked up. That base President Radio is too great for it not to be recapped. :) I did clean off the dust from the inside which had to of been the last 20+ years worth lol. Luckily it didnt get rained on. Dust protected it from rusting. :)

Appreciate the input on the capacitors. It is a must if one wants to keep the radio around and in good working order for many years to come.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
The meter is stuck on the mobile radio, but I will be careful and to get it to break free when I pop the covers off another day, but for now, I am geared towards on recapping the base radio first. president washington 858 chassis.jpg

Reactions: codeman
For today I just did a row of capacitors along the back. Want to do the recap in sections to be sure it still works after powering up and that I didn't mess something up. :p

Just taking my time and dont want to burn up traces or accidentally burn up the plastic of a nearby wire under the board. So far so good. I do need to clean the mode selector switch, as sometimes it wont work when you go to a mode, and need to move out and back into the mode. All is well. Glad to give the radio another chance. I will keep the callsign on the radio thats in the front as I never want to remove them any time I get a radio and see an old callsign.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.