• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

look out ! too much free time again . lol

B

BOOTY MONSTER

many folks say the 102-108 inch whip is the best mobile antenna for cb use some say 10k , 1000/5000 , 55 . these all use a single vertical radiator .
ive read many folks posting about how the triple core francisis or the multi core van-ort are even better . are they really . does 3 much smaller wires in the francsis really outperform a larger single radiator ?

Do several small wires out perform one larger wire? Sort of depends on how many of them smaller wires you are using, if their combined surface area is larger than that single larger wire. The apparent diameter is the only difference, assuming they are both the same length.
that's something else to think about when increasing radiator diameter, length. The larger the diameter the shorter the radiator for the same resonant frequency. That's been around for a lot of years. If you have access to an 'Amateur HandBook', you'll find a formula in the antenna section that deals with the diameter thingy. (492 x R)/f in Mhz = 1/2 wave length. that 'R' is the diameter of the conductor. It's not a linear thing, mor a logarithmic thingy. there's usually a chart that goes along with that formula to find 'R' for a particular diameter of conductor. Average wire sizes (16 to about 10 ga.) work out to something like 95%, which is where that '468' magic' number for 1/2 wave comes from. It's frequency dependent too. A relationship between wave length and diameter. Going from a 14 ga.wire to a 1" tube at 145 Mhz is the same as going from a 14 ga. wire to something like 2 feet at 27 Mhz. ... Man is that off topic or not?! Oh well, it is sort of related though. that's enough, I'm going to bed...
- 'Doc

That is where I get confused :headbang

What will match better?

The 102/108 inch or the Francis?

In other words, if I connected an AH-4 long wire tuner to the 102/108 in my vehicle, would it match better than the Francis for out of band use? Say 20 meter?

I have heard that a coiled antenna will not match as well as the straight stainless 102/108 inch whip? I would ASSume since there is more wire on the Francis it would match better at lower frequency?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.