• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking a handheld for forest trekking

yves

May 22, 2010
I'm new in the radio and have vhf,uhf,CB,HF.....:confused:
I found out UHF is better than vhf if there is a lot of blockage like heavy foliar.I had try Motorola XTR446 and the furthest distance I can get the signal is only 500m.I'm looking a unit not over $200 and is water proof.I found this STANDARS HORIZON HANDHELD HX-270S VHF RADIO and
Standard Horizon HX850s Handheld VHF w/GPS - HX850S - BoatersWorld.com but they r not UHF.Is there any other handheld better than this.At least I can get the signal for at least 1 mile in deep forest.Thanks.

Most people report that VHF is the superior mode in the forest, especially if there are a lot of pine trees. You didn't say where you Will be using your radio and there may be different restrictions where you live(France?). Do you have a ham license? That would open up a lot more frequencies to you. The US has a license free VHF citizens band called MURS. Perhaps you have something similar. There is also the license free UHF citizens band called FRS.

This radio can be programed with VHF and UHF frequencies in both the HAM bands as well as the license free bands. WOUXUN KG-UVD1P 136-174/400-470Mhz Dual Band + Earpiece - eBay (item 250620952370 end time May-23-10 21:49:13 PDT)

This will make the radio waterproof. http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-Proof-cas...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a05967342

Although these radios are not technically approved to be used on the MURS or FRS/GMRS, there is no way that anyone would be able to tell the difference on the air.

Most people report that VHF is the superior mode in the forest, especially if there are a lot of pine trees. You didn't say where you Will be using your radio and there may be different restrictions where you live(France?). Do you have a ham license? That would open up a lot more frequencies to you. The US has a license free VHF citizens band called MURS. Perhaps you have something similar. There is also the license free UHF citizens band called FRS.

This radio can be programed with VHF and UHF frequencies in both the HAM bands as well as the license free bands. WOUXUN KG-UVD1P 136-174/400-470Mhz Dual Band + Earpiece - eBay (item 250620952370 end time May-23-10 21:49:13 PDT)

This will make the radio waterproof. Water Proof case for TGUV KG-669 KG-679 KG-689 KG-UVD1P - eBay (item 180482372418 end time Jun-15-10 07:09:53 PDT)

Although these radios are not technically approved to be used on the MURS or FRS/GMRS, there is no way that anyone would be able to tell the difference on the air.

Thanks for your reply.I'm from Tahiti.And I don't have any license.Does HF need liicense?The brand Wouxun-never heard before.Don't know if it is reliable or not?Still prefer brand like Icom,standard,yaesu....Any other model??What is FM transceiver?IS it better than VHF/UHF?need license?

In most cases HF frequencies need a license. There are some marine frequencies which do not, as well as the 11meter band in the US. You will have to investigate which frequencies are legal in Tahiti. Even if some frequencies require licenses, there may not be an organization to enforce compliance.

HF is not necessarily better than VHF or UHF for short rang communications. There are not many HF handheld transceivers.

FM is a mode and can be used on any frequency, the same as AM, SSB, and digital modes. FM is almost exclusively used for short range coms because of it's high voice clarity.

There are enough links here to keep you busy reading for a day or two. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio

Wouxun is a Chinese brand which gets pretty good reviews. Finding a water proof Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc, for under $200 may be a little difficult unless you use the Marine VHF band.

Great HT, but a license is required.

Welcome to Yaesu.com
Yaesu VX-7R (waterproof to 3 meters)
VX-7%20R.jpg

Still a bit confuse with all the band....:confused:
I just want a good reception in deep forest while I go hunting.(range maybe few km)
I narrow down my choice.
HX 850s/750s-as they are 6w
HX 270s

IfI use this VHF,what is the roughly range I can get?Hope you guys can help.
In tahiti,amateur radio need license.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The radios which you linked to are both marine VHF radios. That means that they may not be used (legally) for point to point on land. That being said, there many hunters in this country who use them for hunting, but occasionally one will get caught and fined.

The range you can expect is about 2-5Km or less in hilly areas. There are higher gain antennas which you can purchase if you wish to extend the range slightly, but they are kind of ungainly. If you are in a hunting party, you may be able to assign one member walk the ridges in order to relay messages to the individuals on either side of the mountain.

Marine VHF is a pretty poor choice for you, as the only people who will hear you in an emergency will be boaters, if any are even listening or even close enough to hear you anyway. Also, it is illegal here in the US to use marine bands on land. Might be ok for you, but you will still have the limitations I mentioned earlier.

Marine VHF is a pretty poor choice for you, as the only people who will hear you in an emergency will be boaters, if any are even listening or even close enough to hear you anyway. Also, it is illegal here in the US to use marine bands on land. Might be ok for you, but you will still have the limitations I mentioned earlier.

I bought it just to contact my friend in the forest.And I order it already as I need it ASAP.

*What model of handheld vhf which is not marine band and is water proof like icom and standard

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.