• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for a flashing l.e.d.mod for 29wxnwst

Chatter

Oct 28, 2009
chambersburg pa
some how i want external lights to flash with my voice modulating during transmissions only , has this been done? any ideas are welcome please help.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Just out of simple minded curiosity, why in the world would you want to do this?

i like bells and whistles. im using it as a base station so i wanna put leds on the bottom to get the glowing effect when im transmitting. getting them to pulse slowly, fading in and out would be even cooler.

I suppose you could tap into the modulation meter circuit to do this, although I haven't given it much thought. Look at the schematic and measure the voltage where the switch is in the Mod position to see if it's usable. Adding an LED with the appropriate resistor is probably going to cause some voltage drop to the meter also, so you'll have to adjust for that.

Another possibility is to sample some of the RF output and construct a simple RF probe that is hooked up to an LED. That would be pretty easy to do & with some experimentation and voltage measurements, you could adjust it to blink depending on the modulation level. Here's a link with a circuit diagram and instructions for an RF probe:

N5ESE's Classic RF Probe

Here are a couple of very similar circuits from vintage amplifiers. Both drive a number of LEDs to make a bar graph display, the IC is still available from LM3915N LM3915 LED Bar Dot Display Driver , as well as other places on the net.

It would be relatively inexpensive, and simple to build into an external enclosure, or even put it internally in the radio.

I've edited the images to show just the LED section of the Amps.

Attachments

• golden_eagle_1k_sch.jpg
    golden_eagle_1k_sch.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 3
  • pocket_rocket.gif
    pocket_rocket.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 32

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.