• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for advise on DSO

bevis

Sep 28, 2020
Having been out of the hobby for over 30 years, i need some advise on test equipment.
I want to get back into working on 10/11 meter radios and amps and try my hand at tube equipment.
At this point its like starting over and trying to remember what ive forgotten.

Fortunately im more able to afford the correct equipment now then i was 30-40 years ago when all i had was a transistor tester / volt meter and a watt meter.
That being said, i need opinions on what DSO to buy.
I have an old HP analog scope somewhere. I have not found it yet. Its most likely a 20mhz 2 channel but im not sure. ANd to be SURE im a rookie with a scope and considering what ive forgotten, a rookie on ALL of it.

Is there any instance when i would need more than 2 channels @ 100Mhz bandwidth ?
Im looking at the Siglent 200mhz 2 channel SDS1202X-E or the [URL='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZML6RD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1']Siglent 4 channel 100mhz SDS1104X-E [/URL].
An advantage for old eyes is the 1104xe has a built in webserver to do almost real time on a big monitor via RJ45 Ip connection.

I am also buying the Siglent [URL='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C37Z1X6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1']SSA3021X-TG Spectrum Analyzer [/URL]with tracking generator.
For $1400 with a tracking generator, it seems a no brainer compared to paying that and more for a 30 year old one on fleabay.

Im going to assume that most of the no name scopes that have a built in signal generator or wave form generator are pretty much crap.

Im also on the hunt for a stand alone SINAD meter of some kind and a old school Variac.
The china variac's on amazon have some glowing reviews and some that say it caught on fire.

I just picked up a bird 43 with 3 slugs and a 1x2x5 peak kit with a bird kilowatt RF sampler and an Agilent 34401A bench DVM.

Im going to attempt to do it the right way this time.

All opinions and advise appreciated.

Reactions: Slowmover

It seems that the YT reviews dont have a very high opinion of the Hantek stuff.
Im not educated enough to know for certain and thats why i was going towards the Siglent stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.