• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for amplifier options for SSB (10-12)m

Most think that hams are always running 1.5k with huge towers full of antennas. When I have pointed out that you don't need that to talk all over the world they don't believe it.

Yep seen this exact "wait, what? Really?" expression from anyone that I talk to about it that has never done anything but 11M. It's just because the only propagation they know is 11M propagation. Unless they study, or talk to people with more experience than they have (usually not, or they don't listen!) they won't know how anything else works, and assume it's all like 11M propagation is.

And yeah, I think almost all the hams that I know personally, came from 11M. I started studying back in the 90's when they still had code tests, but didn't get licensed until 10 or 11 years ago, and only because when I jumped back into 11M after being out of it for about 5 years, I found that all my 11M friends got their "no code" licenses and were talking on VHF, and some on HF. So I jumped right in, studied for the tests for one week, took the tests, stopped at General (in one sitting). Was enough for me, I think the Extra, at least back then required a little more intense studying than the Tech and General did. My first ham rig (that worked) was a FT-101EE. It was completely jacked up when I got it, I made it work (and look) like new again. That's how all hams should start IMO, especially because of the no code, you skip a lot of the hard part, and building your own stuff part these days. Today, it's memorize answers to the test questions, take test, pass, get Call Sign, order a IC-7300, and become an instant appliance operator.

Hi, I am a SSB user on 11 meters. Soon getting license for other bands. I am looking for a good clean amp for use with SSB. What would be a good option? My current radio is an Anytone 6666. I have my eyes set on the Texas Star DX1600. My question is, is the 1600 clean on SSB or would I be wasting my time? I would throttle it back to 4-500W out or so. I am leaning towards the 1600 so I can loaf it at 500 and keep things cool. 13v input and consider it done. I am also looking at tubers. It's a shame the 811A and 572B are chinese junk these days. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2xMRF454.jpg
    2xMRF454.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 2 different boards.jpg
    2 different boards.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Another SkyWave.jpg
    Another SkyWave.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 109
Product Status:

"SkyWave DX300" RF Linear Amplifier (Tuned Narrow-Band) - BACK ORDERED until June 2022

"SkyWave DX600" RF Linear Amplifier - BACK ORDERED until June 2022

"SkyWave DX600T" RF Linear Amplifier (Tuned Narrow-Band) - BACK ORDERED until June 2022

Oh man this is so true.

I started with a 5 channel Johnson Measenger and a magmount in the gutter, in 7 grade. By the Dayton fest of 1999 in 9th grade I think, in passed and got my ticket.

Well radio spawned my entire unrelated electronics career.

I easily stepped away from radio for 10 years beginning in my mid 20s. Anyhow after I turned my other electronics hobby into a business that is successful, like old guys warned me.. I got burned out. So I started playing radios again.

Well surprise surprise. At some point in the last 20 years "hams" became ignorant as hell. Helpless even. I still don't know what to make of it.

I was a chub in junior high and at the end of fests, old guys would give me gear that needed fixed or rebuilt for free. Because they didn't want to haul it home.

I took everything! And learned to 'Radio'

My parents couldn't buy me all the shit i wanted. So I repaired or built it and worked, so I could buy it.

R&L electronics got allot of my money before I got a taste of girls. Anyhow times change but still... I helped a college kid, new ham last week tune his vhf mobile setup because he didn't know how.

WTF!

Brain drain fellas. It's real and it's everywhere.

Yep seen this exact "wait, what? Really?" expression from anyone that I talk to about it that has never done anything but 11M. It's just because the only propagation they know is 11M propagation. Unless they study, or talk to people with more experience than they have (usually not, or they don't listen!) they won't know how anything else works, and assume it's all like 11M propagation is.

And yeah, I think almost all the hams that I know personally, came from 11M. I started studying back in the 90's when they still had code tests, but didn't get licensed until 10 or 11 years ago, and only because when I jumped back into 11M after being out of it for about 5 years, I found that all my 11M friends got their "no code" licenses and were talking on VHF, and some on HF. So I jumped right in, studied for the tests for one week, took the tests, stopped at General (in one sitting). Was enough for me, I think the Extra, at least back then required a little more intense studying than the Tech and General did. My first ham rig (that worked) was a FT-101EE. It was completely jacked up when I got it, I made it work (and look) like new again. That's how all hams should start IMO, especially because of the no code, you skip a lot of the hard part, and building your own stuff part these days. Today, it's memorize answers to the test questions, take test, pass, get Call Sign, order a IC-7300, and become an instant appliance operator.

As fast as time now seems to move on (to me at least) June 2022 will be here in a blink of the eye.

RALPH: Don't you dare buy one of those "THINGS" (enuf said :))
Buy one of these and take your upgrade test !!!!!!! :LOL::love::LOL:

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1569897 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1569258 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1568719 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line
Pristine Henry Desk Top HF Amp

Best to you/yours 2022
All the Best
Gary

I have to ask, what was your reasoning for an amp for the ham bands?
To be honest, I just wanted solid equipment. I looked at Texas stars and other cheaper options. Nah, better to spend the money and be done. The 7300 and 80B have been ROCK SOLID for me. Very happy with the setup. I also plan to get my general soon.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
he 7300 and 80B have been ROCK SOLID for me. Very happy with the setup. I also plan to get my general soon.
Another thing to keep in mind, the HF bands are not like 11 meters, contacts are much easier to make and it does NOT take power. My advice would be to sell the amp and use that money for antennas and support equipment.

Reactions: NZ8N and S&W357
A four element what? All I offered was the advice of a ham that has been in the hobby for a long time. Once you get your general you will see how the bands are and you will find what works for you. If you plan on running 75 to 160 then yes you will need an Amp there, the rest of the bands not so much. Good luck in your endeavors and have fun.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?