• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for mic suggestions

Sniper308

Mar 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
I recently set up my first base station. It is a Ranger RHF-618. Everyone reports that my signal is strong but that I sound a bit pitchy on the stock mic. Does anyone make a good power mic for base stations with a Ranger 6 pin plug? I dont suppose there are any that would keep the channel up/down feature of the stock mic?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Those OEM RCI mics can sound pretty crappy on AM; OK on SSB.

Might consider a Turner+3/Turner SuperSidekick, a D104/TUP9, or a D104M6 handheld. The RF Limited CR-577 is also a very fine choice for a base set too.

Wiring these mics to your rig would be the next hoop . . .

Last edited:
I notice the mic m42duster posted has a selector switch for am/fm/ssb. Just curious what this feature does. Im using the stock mic on am and ssb now and I dont have to switch anything on the mic between the 2 modes.

The up/down switch on a mic is convenient for mobile but pretty useless for a base radio. Especially if you make that more important than the clarity of TX audio that an aftermarket mic provides. Just worked on a RCI radio for a local that had a up/down switches added to an Astatic 636/noise-cancelling mic for mobile use. That worked out just fine for that application.

Ok, I ordered a mic today. I hope it works better than the stock ranger mic. I went with the http://redmancb.com/workman-dm-502b-am-ssb-fm-base-microphone/ and chose the option to add 110v power so I wouldn't have to keep changing batteries. In fact the main reason I went with that mic was for the no battery feature. I can only hope that the sound quality is good. I'd rather have a good sounding mic with batteries than an ac powered mic that sounds bad.

I'll post up my thoughts when Ive had a chance to try it out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.