• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For Your Ideas

TexasOutlaw

Jul 13, 2009
Highlands, Texas
I know this may open a huge can of worms. But, what do you think is the best AM/SSB mobile out there and why. Looking for performance not bells and whistels. I personally still like the Cobra 148/Grant XL type of radios. A little tweaking and you could have hours of entertainment with them. Their price has always been reasonable as well. Thanks

If you're into Chrome then the Omega Force is a good option but if you're on the fence about appearance then the 2950/70 gang of RCI's is good also.

The RCI 2970N2 gets my vote....I get great audio reports on SSB and AM.
Its a clean, powerfull, modern looking unit with out a bunch of extra crap(echo,talk back,colored lights,etc..)
I can talk 20+ miles on AM locally (102whip+6" brass rizer, behind cab mounted center box rail), and when skip is rollin,all over the North America and then some.
It puts out 300+ on SSB and 100 swinging 150 on AM, and if I am talking to some one close I just turn down the Variably power.
The only draw backs I have found are...You need direct Bat/alt connection with 6ga wire or better and a good alt. I upgrade my alt to a 200amp and ran 4ga to the radio. (my F350 diesel draws 60-80amps alone with all the electronics and the radio will pull 50+ on ssb) so if your not into a few minor electrical upgrades this radio is not for you.
The other things I do like are the channel changers on the mic, the new green on black display, and very easy to use function buttons and knobs. Also I like the all black case.
All in all I am very pleased with this radio....but like many others will also say as well...choose what makes you happy...and make sure you have a good antenna cause even the best radio won't be worth a damn with out a good antenna system, IMHO.....
Here is a link to a review by cb radio magizine for the 2970n2
RCI-2970 N2 200 Watt 10 Meter Radio Review

My second choice would be an old cobra 148gtl with a good amp( thats my back up rig)
I just love everything about it...I would still be using it if it wern't so wore out
:pop:

grant xl. for $150, the receiver smokes ANY other cb or export EVER made. and for mere pennies, you can make it even BETTER. transmit is in that same nearly untouchable class. another $150 for a dx250, and you have a setup that no rci cb/export can match in dependability, reliability or performance. think about adding a dx667 instead.......

Well...I've had the 148GTL'S and I still have the 2510 and 2600, plus I've used several others over the years.

But for all around performance, I would have to give 10 thumps up for the 2950 and 2970dx models (alsoN2)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I've been having a blast with my N2 ....... so much fun that I went and bought a 2995 a month or so later.

Ive ran most radios except a CPI these past 40 years or so. Ive found that the AR 3500 is one that is hard to beat. It just out performed them all. But its a 3o year old radio now and I was just looking for ideas. In the past I never got on side band so a AM radio would work. I liked the 2950 with a amp behing them. Never cared for the 2510 although its just a personal perferance. They are great radios. There is so much on the market its almost hard to weed your way through all the hype and bs. I have a Washington with channels for a base. I've had 2000's and a 101EE. Looking at a CPI base now. Just want something I can put in the mobile and do some DXing with. I'm using a Nugatron antenna, RG8X coax and have a custom 4 pill (2879's) box and a driver if need be. Fixing to put a Texastar V-Plus in line as well. Just want to update the radio with something newer I guess.

I'm looking at an older style Presedent/Uniden Grant I used to have a President jackson old style but sold it like a dummy

The Jackson was probably the first export radio available in the early 1980s, but it was a dog as far as performance goes. Good thing you dumped it.
1) Cobra 148/Uniden Grant/Uniden Grant XL
2) Magnum Delta Force...best export radio I ever owned.
3) Magnum Omega Force

I second the comment from Texas Outlaw about the Clear Channel Corp. Ranger AR3500. Overall the radio is a very worthy performer in all aspects of a transceiver, often outperforming some of the costly export base units. However, it's not an 11m radio and it appears from your question that you are looking for a CB/SSB mobile and not the export models that others here have recommended. The 148GTL is a good choice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.