• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking g for a new scanner

KE5YOU

Aug 29, 2012
So it is about time to expand the ham shack again and part of that expansion includes a new handheld scanner. The primary purpose for this piece of kit is the scan the air bands (both commerical and military). However I can foresee uses on the amateur bands as well. So first my first question is how important is digital and trunking technology for these purposes? From there the question is what are my best options?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Hi there and welcome to WorldWide DX.

When in doubt a digital scanner is the best move as it is certainly the most capable but it's also the most expensive. For your stated interests of air bands and amatuer bands an analog scanner will suffice. I would recommend a trunking scanner for 2 reasons. First, the trunkers are generally more feature laden and have more memory slots available. Second, it's likely that even within the narrow focus of your interests you'll happen across a need for it. For example, though I need no trunking to hear the planes in my area I do need it to monitor the airport.

Keep an open mind (and wallet) and remember that your interests may expand as you improve your scanning skills. RadioReference.com is an awesome resource. Be sure to check out the Wiki - it has lots of great info. HERE is a list of analog trunkers that you may find helpful.

Good luck.

Definitely get a trunking scanner. Ditto on the Radio Reference link, it's a great resource. And not to poo poo your purchase, but there are some pretty sweet scanner streaming links on that site that allow you to listen to a LOT of content that is out there. For free!

RT307

I checked out all the live feeds I could find and nothing was really what I am after. You have to understand that I care nothing about emergency service feeds and frequencies. I get enough of that crape at work. Any radio work I do during my off time is completely unrelated.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.