• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking to purchase a k-wood TS-430S

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
I am looking at a kenwood TS-430S. Any feedback? Are they ok? And last of all are they modifiable for 11 meters as a recieve unit only of course? Are they a xtal radio or digital? It cant be digital. At least I don't think they are..

I have not used that radio..
but most of kenwoods equipment is pretty good..

it likly can be moded to 11 meters...

i have a friend selling his 706MKIIG with Icom tuner
(is already moded to 11 meters by gene fron kji electronics ..
if you are interested)...
though i am keeping my 706MKIIG (makes a exellent back up radio for me)..

though i still need to use my IC-7000 more...lol

Later

Yes the TS-430 is a good rig and it is modifiable for 11m and then some. ;) It is an older rig that hit the market about 1983 and lasted until the very early 90's.It has a digital freq. readout but I believe it has an alalog VFO instead of a digital PLL type although I could be wrong. That was about the crossover point in time when both types of VFOs were being made.Go to www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts430s.htm for a picture and you can also download the user manual there.

i think you would happeir with either the 440 or the 450.. i used the 430 an i run the 440 now,, pretty much thr same radio just newer alot eaiser to work on.

yes..

he has the 706MKIIG along with icoms antenna tuner..
he is dying to get icoms newest IC-7000

i think he is willing to sell as a set
(so he can get the IC-7000)

I do not blame him..
the IC-7000 is a sweet radio..

i simply see no need to sell my 706MKIIG
(since it has always worked so well...and compared to 95% of all other 706MKIIG's mine has far less use on it .. because i use several radios)

I know my friends 706MKIIG was gotten from gene at kgi electronics and he had gene do the 11 meter mod (nothing else)..
i know it works extremly well..
if not for the existence of the IC-7000 he would not even consider selling it..

i got him to get the 706MKIIG in the first place some 1.5 to 2 years ago (as well as another friend...who also since got his IC-7000....a couple weeks even before i did...lol)

now he has a bug up his _______ to get the IC-7000

so PM me or email me if you still want to consider the 706MKIIG with the Icom antenna tuner

Later

I'm picking up a TS-430 on Monday for MARS work. I need something with a little more punch than my 817. I hope I like it.

FDtrucker congrats on your new radio,you will like it i'm sure. And i'm glad to see that you have the "D" version as it has all the upgrades that the plain ft-100 didn't offer. If you have any question about it let me know as i have owned my ft-100D for 3 years now. The menu is a breeze and I can help you set up mic gain,FM gain and comp gain. I also have some url's that are very helpful. Enjoy your new rig and good luck.
73,Stu

FDtrucker I think on the ft-100D the AM 6 khz filter is an option and is not installed from factory.The part number is XF-117A if you can find one,there around but kinda hard to find.

One way to find out if filter is installed is go to menu and bring up menu 32 and change it to 6.0 which tells the radio to route the signal through the filter.

Hamer may be right it may be installed from factory,i always understood that it was not and was an option. I have filter installed on my rig and can tell you the differance is night and day. If you need any help let me know.
73,Stu

When the D nodel was released it came with eother the 117C CW filter or 117A AM filter which was the most popular, let us know

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.