• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loudest Export radio out today?

tilehead said:
I understand why the companies are using built in linears but having a cooling fan (or twin fans) sounds like just something else to go wrong with the radio.I realize the need for the fans but seems like trouble down the road.

erm, why you say that......PC's pump power and use fans...people that get to hot use fans :p
fans are a good thing :)

211 in tha mag said:
OK, what is the loudest radio on AM today on the market, dont matter if it has a built in linear or not. Also Best sounding one on SSb? lets here them fellows.

Well I use the FT-817ND headphone out hooked up to the AUX in on my stereo of my Jeep and when I crank the volume ITS LOUD.

This is an appropriate answer seeing how there was no definition of what EXACTLY is wanted.

PS its loud in any mode

211 in tha mag said:
OK, what is the loudest radio on AM today on the market, dont matter if it has a built in linear or not. Also Best sounding one on SSb? lets here them fellows.

4300-300 is the loudest AM radio on the market today.

especially with 2879 in it. It will cost you though.

lords said:
tilehead said:
I understand why the companies are using built in linears but having a cooling fan (or twin fans) sounds like just something else to go wrong with the radio.I realize the need for the fans but seems like trouble down the road.

erm, why you say that......PC's pump power and use fans...people that get to hot use fans :p
fans are a good thing :)
10-4 I guess your are right but I can imagine the fans going kaput. I want my radio "maintenance" free as possible. :lol

4600turbo said:
211 in tha mag said:

4300-300 is the loudest AM radio on the market today.

especially with 2879 in it. It will cost you though.

When i say loud I mean 100 watts to 400 watts swing in your face power that will be there for 10 to 15 miles. A radio that can not be mistaken for a 4 to 16 watt 100% that may be loud but only loud in the truckstop.

A radio that has 100 to 150% modulation swing and when you talk into it your voice sits at or near the 100% modulation. Where It is the loudest. You could do this with a voice processor, but when you have 400 watts of swing. It goes for a long distance.

"....dont matter if it has a built in linear or not."

it's clear that the distance variable is not part of the equation and neither was it of any concern to the original poster since a radio with an amplifier will produce a STRONGER SIGNAL (UV/M) than one without. the fact that receiver sensitivity, antenna height, gain and propagation mode are able to influence the amount of energy at any given point in space from the transmitter measured in microvolts per meter has nothing whatsoever to do with the modulation index or "loudness".

in an am transmitter producing 4W of carrier and 16WPEP the increase created by the modulated envelope is 6db. and the same goes for a transmitter producing 100W of carrier and 400WPEP, 6db.. take any amount of carrier power and modulate it to four times that carrier power and you have a 100% modulated signal.

dB = 10 LOG (1 + M)2
db = 10 LOG (1 + 1)2
db = 10 LOG (2)2
db = 10 LOG (4)
db = 10 (.60)
db = 6.0

M = modulation index, 1 = 100%

the "loudness" of an am transmitter is solely based on the amount of increase in power output between carrier only and fully modulated (100%) carrier conditions, period.

if the original poster intended the distance variable to be a factor here he would not have added the statement "....dont matter if it has a built in linear or not."

like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", loudness is in the ear of the receiver.

Receiver AGC in some CB radios might not maintain the same gain over the full dynamic range, ie. -120dBm to -50dBm or so. Meaning the AGC could allow weaker signals to drop in gain a bit, and/or stronger signals increase. This could be tested with just a RF signal generator AM modulated with 1KHz (or so) tone. vary the RF amplitude from weakest -120dBm to whatever the strongest would practically be, and record the change in audio level.

The other thing is the frequency response of the receiver audio circuit and the speaker itself. If you know the audio frequency range that produces the loudest sound, you can make sure your transmitter is at 100% modulation there.

"........Meaning the AGC could allow weaker signals to drop in gain a bit, and/or stronger signals increase."

you have it backwards. Automatic Gain Control increases the gain of the controlled stages in the case of weaker signals and attenuates the gain of those same stages in the presence of very strong signals.

freecell said:
"....dont matter if it has a built in linear or not."

it's clear that the distance variable is not part of the equation and neither was it of any concern to the original poster since a radio with an amplifier will produce a STRONGER SIGNAL (UV/M) than one without. the fact that receiver sensitivity, antenna height, gain and propagation mode are able to influence the amount of energy at any given point in space from the transmitter measured in microvolts per meter has nothing whatsoever to do with the modulation index or "loudness".

in an am transmitter producing 4W of carrier and 16WPEP the increase created by the modulated envelope is 6db. and the same goes for a transmitter producing 100W of carrier and 400WPEP, 6db.. take any amount of carrier power and modulate it to four times that carrier power and you have a 100% modulated signal.

dB = 10 LOG (1 + M)2
db = 10 LOG (1 + 1)2
db = 10 LOG (2)2
db = 10 LOG (4)
db = 10 (.60)
db = 6.0

M = modulation index, 1 = 100%

the "loudness" of an am transmitter is solely based on the amount of increase in power output between carrier only and fully modulated (100%) carrier conditions, period.

if the original poster intended the distance variable to be a factor here he would not have added the statement "....dont matter if it has a built in linear or not."

I'm sure what you said is all true and correct, but in layman terms and what most truckdrivers call loud is exactly what I said. They want a radio that is loud like one with 100% modulation like you stated but they also want one that will reach out and touch someone.

Also echo boards are also consider in the equation; because most people consider the enhancement that the echo board does to be loud also.

You ask someone which is louder. key a radio with the echo on then key the same radio with the echo off. Then ask which is louder you'll find out that most people would say the one with the echo on is louder even though it's putting out the same modulation either way.

211 in tha mag said:

This is what he asked freecell.

Im impressed with my Gen Lee. Loud and clear is the key. Love my 95T also but they do run warm with a 40 watt DK. I am now running it with about 25 watt dk pep about 140. I use it for a base and keep a cage fan on it and it works great. For the money the Gen Lee/Connex 3300s cant be beat.

freecell said:
"........Meaning the AGC could allow weaker signals to drop in gain a bit, and/or stronger signals increase."

you have it backwards. Automatic Gain Control increases the gain of the controlled stages in the case of weaker signals and attenuates the gain of those same stages in the presence of very strong signals.

Thats right. Ideally it would.
I am just saying that some radios AGC might not maintain a constant output over the full dynamic range of RF input level.

well i look at it like this
when i go to the shootouts and breaks and see and hear the guys winning and hear the guys in dx

the ones that stand out its just a different sound beyond the rest

i have to ask them what kind of radio you using

90 % of the dx that i hear are running cobra 25 cobra 29 ltd classics
cobra 148s and the uniden counterparts

at a break or shootout you will more than likely not see the bells and whistle radios winning anything

one time and its been only one time i seen a galaxy 55 but it was in 2pill class

most of the guys i know on the bowl run the cobras and unidens
i dont mean cobra 150 or 200 either

i would put money on a setup with this

cobra 29 going into 3pill into a 8pill on a suburban
beating a guy in shootout and dx
with a export radio going into a 2pill driving a 8pill in a suburban

Like I said before , Good Ole Cb Radios !! but being realistic here ......I suppose, that really wasn't the question here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.