• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lowering the dead key on a radio to drive an amp

They should still be bypassed by an electrolytic unless one wants to throw modulator power out the window.

Bumping an old thread here but could you elaborate on this a little. What size capacitor? How/where should it be installed? What do you mean by throwing the modulator power out the window?

I'm planning on lowering the deadkey on my cb soon and I plan to use the diode method.

If you need to lower the input power to that amplifier, lower the whole mess, not just 'part' of it.

- 'Doc

Doc thinks amplifiers are linear. I've tried this actually and tried a Cobra into a 4 pill Texas Star. You can't do it and pretty much have to drop the carrier. 1w peaking 4, 4w peaking 16 etc there just isn't enough linearity to make it work.

Odd. You dig up a three year old post to say that I don't know that amplifiers are not linear. I would suggest that you find out what I know before saying I don't know it. I'm still puzzled in what did I say to indicate a linearity in an amplifier? I only know of one class of amplifier that is linear, and it's very seldom used as a power amplifier. All the rest have linear regions, some classes much narrower than others.
My knowledge of AM mode goes quite a ways back when a separate modulator stage was added to a carrier producing stage via the plate of that stage. That was 'old hat' when I was a teenager, something like 50 odd years ago. I also have to say that since I seldom have had anything to do with AM mode in a lot of years that the methods used not are not the same. Wow, ignorant me, huh?
In a nut shell, prove to me that YOU know what you're talking about. You really wanna go there?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't necro this, but no, you can't leave enough "headroom" to stay linear which was your point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.