• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

lp 100a mounted in my ride

fnkycoldmedina

May 18, 2005
pa
hey guys, got my lp 100a the other day and done a crude install yesterday.i installed it in the dash in place of my stereo which i barely listen to anyway ,i always have the cb on .used parts from a old car stereo install kit i had around .not too bad .....gonna look on ebay for another kit that will give it a more finished look. not bad for using what i had laying around .
have fun looking......this took a few hours to fab up ,route cables,power wire ect,ect.....

dsc00594r.jpg

By null, shot with FDMAVICA at 2010-02-16
dsc00596yy.jpg

Shot at 2010-02-16
dsc00597en.jpg

By null, shot with FDMAVICA at 2010-02-16
dsc00598wc.jpg

Shot at 2010-02-16

since you will ask ,the screen saver has only 6 digits so i made due.
remember this was built by a ham for hams ...ham call signs are only 6 digits .

Very slick set up.. Tell me is the unit mounted in the dash secured or just laid in there? Great job it looks pretty finished already but A trim piece would tighten it up..

Markip

i used what i had laying around .it could use a piece of trim but where to find it??its held in place not just laying in there .
i took a old car stereo mounting kit and took the dremel to it to make the unit fit .behind the scenes what you dont see is a zip tie system holding this fast to the mount from behind .its very secure.
i try not to half ass anything if at all possible .

any ideas where i can find a trim piece big enough?all they sell for explorers are single or double din kits ,thats what this used to be .just not enough there to trim it out perfect.

You could try going to a auto parts store or home depot and buy a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick trim piece with double sided tape. Trim and miter the corners and adhere. I did that a few years back with a meter set up and it was with a chrome trim piece. It looked freaking kick butt.. Just a thought.. Also it was very inexpensive.(y)

Markip

i do have something here i could dremel down to make fit but i just thought it might come out looking sloppy so i havent tried yet.maybe i,ll give it go .

I'm like you when it comes to using stuff around the house, and more or less recycling it into something useful...That's how I made my Pedestal for my radio...Just used a 9" Predator shaft, and some scrap metal and "Wa-La!" Radio Mount!

When I installed my LCD Volt meter in the dash, I had to make a trim plate for it...What I used was a old plastic box a drill came in, then cut out the plate with a dremel...It didn't mater so much if it didn't come out perfect, because once the meter was installed, and stuck in the dash, any crooked edges didn't show anyway...

go to ebay and do a search in the electronics category for "abs plastic".

you will see a bunch of pieces about 12"x12"x1/8" for a few dollars.

this is the stuff they use in those car stereo kits, and you can neatly dremel a hole for the meter in the right place and voila!

should work well.
LC

duct tape ! of course why didnt i think of that? ...lol.......
thats classic coming from a guy named mechanic...haha.duct tape the mechanics best friend.:D

thanks man .havent messed with it anymore yet .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.