• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

M-216 BIG DADDY Antenna

Ya gotta admit, when it comes to 'whoops' - that's a funny one for sure! :laugh:

Well i cant say anything about that I cant type for ---- :D What i ment was should i put it up above the the beam wich is being set on a tower or set it on a pole by itself.

{paraphrased} should i put a ground plane something like that up above the the beam wich is being set on a tower or set it on a pole by itself.

No, I'd avoid adding anything to the beam & tower since you have a dual polarization beam.

If you only had the flat side (horizontal) then I'd say buy a P-500, remove the radials & set it atop the beam, using the beam for your ground planes, but I wouldn't interfere with the vertical beam pattern by adding another RF active element up through it or above it.

I recommend erecting a push-up telescoping TV antenna mast on the other side of the house or yard and try out a Penetrator or Sirio Gainmaster (if you can install it correctly - it's a bit fickle but looks less conspicuous because it requires no radials) for local omni vertical contacts.

Last edited:

Ya gotta pay to play! ;)

- However, you could simply erect a center-fed dipole in the vertical polarization if you have 17.5' of random wire, a length of coax and a tree to hang it from.

That would get you decent local performance for le$$ but you'll need to pull the coax off the center feed point at a 90° angle with a choke wrapped in the coax and if possible, use the coax to pull the entire center of the dipole to one side for about a 120° dipole instead of a true 180° so your swr will be 1:1.

No, I'd avoid adding anything to the beam & tower since you have a dual polarization beam.

If you only had the flat side (horizontal) then I'd say buy a P-500, remove the radials & set it atop the beam, using the beam for your ground planes, but I wouldn't interfere with the vertical beam pattern by adding another RF active element up through it or above it.

I recommend erecting a push-up telescoping TV antenna mast on the other side of the house or yard and try out a Penetrator or Sirio Gainmaster (if you can install it correctly - it's a bit fickle but looks less conspicuous because it requires no radials) for local omni vertical contacts.

BINGO(y) right back at ya!

i agree with the installation of the vertical in another location, just make sure it is at least one full wavelength away from your tower.

Hi everone I am geting there its been a bit slow but just about to get it all done. The winch that i have hooked up to the tower is all in place and been tested and i must say it works like a champ. It looks neet going up and down and is going to be nice when storms come or high winds show up. Working on the antenna is going to be a breze and setting the SWR'S will be nice as well. I will be puting the Antenna together in a day or two as I know the tower is ready to go. I have taken lots of photo's of what been done so far and i will post them as well as a vid of the tower going up and down . I may need some help on the vid part we have never done that befor. I spent some time making sure all my bracing would do the job might be overkill and might not. I wanted to make sure i did not drop that Antenna from lack of bracing. I am like a kid in the candy store wanting to try it out to see how it dose and if this BIG DADDY dose as good as I think it will sould have fun takling to folks on it. Its kind of neet to open up a 35 yeay old Antenna and seeing all the new parts like new and think you wont get to do this to many times in your lifetime that's for sure. Hey thanks for following along with me also for your help as well. I am sure when it comes to seting up the Antenna I will need some help. Thanks to all of you for your help GOD BLESS (y)

Well its been a long day as i have a new Grandsone :p: and his first name is Sam. With all that's been going on I have got the Boom and the Element's put together the Rotor plate is in place so it wont be long. I will say it is one big Antenna to say the least. If it talk's and as good as it looks it will be great. I will keep you posted on how we are getting along and if i can hog tie the wife long enough to post pics i will be adding those as well. God Bless.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.