• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

m-400 flat or shooting star

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
is there any difference in using a m400 4 element yagi on the flat side to shoot dx or is it the same using the flat side on a shooting star do you get the same results os is the flat side only better. :roll:

fatdude1 said:
you can run dx on the flat side or the vertical side it all depends on the conditions the maco 4 is a single side beam the shooting star as both flat and vertical. beening able to switch from one to the other is a plus.

hope this helps ya 73's
but is there an advantage to shooting Dx with just a flat side antenna can you hear more than one like the shooting star that has both. as far as the ssb that is where i do most Dxing. i realize when the signal gets out in space it can actualy land any polarization, i use an antronn 99 now and seem to be able to Dx any where in the Us and so. amer. and the carribian i would loike to hit some overseas contact. seems like most guy i know that make these type of contacts are using flatside 4's 6's or 8's

ok what a beam does is concentreat's its energy in one direaction hence the word beam. An a 99 is a omni antenna its energy goes in all directions. So for your answer is there an advantage yes as for what type of beam to use for DX i would go with a quad beam like signal engineering antenna's . it's a knowen fact the the quad will out do a yagi in dx hands down every time altho they are both good antenna's

Quad loop parasitic elements (not the element that the coax hooks up to) respond to all signal polarization's equally. When receiving DX signals, the incoming signal's polarization is constantly changing causing signal fade & flutter. Quad loop parasitic elements still pick up these signals and result in DX communication that is far more stable than when using a conventional yagi beam.

thanks to se quads for the above statement

fatdude1 said:
ok what a beam does is concentreat's its energy in one direaction hence the word beam. An a 99 is a omni antenna its energy goes in all directions. So for your answer is there an advantage yes as for what type of beam to use for DX i would go with a quad beam like signal engineering antenna's . it's a knowen fact the the quad will out do a yagi in dx hands down every time altho they are both good antenna's

Quad loop parasitic elements (not the element that the coax hooks up to) respond to all signal polarization's equally. When receiving DX signals, the incoming signal's polarization is constantly changing causing signal fade & flutter. Quad loop parasitic elements still pick up these signals and result in DX communication that is far more stable than when using a conventional beam.

thanks to se quads for the above statement

I'd love to compare a delta loop to a quad... Everything else being the same, just take a 2 element or 3 element quad and delta loop, and see JUST which antenna really beats what...

Then, try it with a quagi with the winner of the above.

Oh well, too much time, acreage and antenna swr to set. :)

--Toll_Free

radioreddz said:
but is there an advantage to shooting Dx with just a flat side antenna can you hear more than one like the shooting star that has both.
As far your oversea's contacts go, I think you will do much better using the straight "flat" side instead of vertical polarity. Your local "dx" (North America) can be done with just about any antenna, but some of the really hard places around the world are going to be easier with the "flat" yagi.

In the winter months (Jan & Feb) I talk with a operator in his mobile while he is going to work, we talk for about 5 min. then he's into the city and we lose contact. Where is he? He is in S. Korea. This is 11 meters and no one else hears him from here. In fact, he has never been able to talk to any one else from North America from his mobile as of yet. But I do it with Maco 5 "flat" side and 25 watts.

So, it's what ever you wish to do.
(on edit I would like to also say; I am only 28' above sea level and 36' from ground to the boom)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.