• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

M103c swr across 11 meters

klloyd

KN4OIN
May 15, 2012
I have a M103c. I have not taken it out of the box. I'm reading its not very wide banded. I have some friends that talk on 26.210, and friends that talk on 27.835... Is this antenna going to be able to tune and talk at both ends of this band with acceptable swr? If not, I'll send it back for something more broad banded.
Beam is needed for the extremes in distance. We talk over 100 miles with no power other than our radios. They all have beams but me, so they can hear me well, but I can barely hear them. Great guys, dont want to have to choose between the two channels. Any info will be appreciated.

KL

Most of them are using 5 elements, vertical. Off hand I dont know the manufacturer. I can ask when its quieter. Here in Ky, we have some kind of, I assume, weather related static in the area. Been here for about a week. Dies down during the night.

And btw, I dont think they talk to each other, I'm not even sure they know of each other, they are in opposite directions of me.

Should be able to find info regarding the usable bandwidth in your manual. Sounds like all you guys are on your own separate big hill tops to work that distance vertical.

Ask the other guys what kind of usable bandwidth they are getting on their beams. That will give you some approximation as long as you can somewhat replicate their installs. You might be able to use a tuner to tweak things a little. Sounds to me like you need a couple more elements, or you could look at some quads.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited:
I seen that chart, but wasnt sure that was what I was actually looking at. So, what I'm seeing is, it will cover just about 40 channels, and not much more? Which is why I was asking. I was hoping for some real world input. I have a 102" whip on top of my suburban that is flat from 26.000 to 1.5 at 27.995. Goes down from there, but the info the shops give me is it will only over 120 channels or so... Real world is it covers much much more. I will tune it between the two I am wanting to talk to, see where I get I guess. I hope not to have to use a tuner, but if need be, I guess....

If one of your friends is flexible or agreeable enough to talk on a frequency that is more agreeable with the tuning of the antenna you could have him change to that frequency after you have made conatct with him.
If this is possible then I would tune my antenna closer to the frequency of the person that I have the worst signal with and with cooperation from the other person you could talk to him on a fequency that was more agreeable with the tuning of the antenna.

I have a M103c. ... Great guys, dont want to have to choose between the two channels. Any info will be appreciated.

KL

well,............. if you REALLY want a flat VSWR, then get a step-IR antenna.:)

kind of a waste on freeband, but, it WILL be "flat" anywhere you will operate.

why don't you get some style of H/V antenna ,.. like a moonraker 4, and tune the vert elements for one freq, and the horiz elements for the other freq(y)

Reactions: 1 person
well,............. if you REALLY want a flat VSWR, then get a step-IR antenna.:)

kind of a waste on freeband, but, it WILL be "flat" anywhere you will operate.

why don't you get some style of H/V antenna ,.. like a moonraker 4, and tune the vert elements for one freq, and the horiz elements for the other freq(y)

Hey 6, do all the element change length electrically like the driven element?

Ive actually thought of that! After talking to most of them last night, they are running 4 and 5 element beams, flat side. The high channel guys are running about the same, mostly vertical. I think I've decided that if the 103 cant turn between the two, I will get two of the 103's point one south, and one north!
I thought about running a matcher and all, but I honestly thought it would be able to talk that far apart. I was hoping some one would chime in and say NO PROBLEM! But its ok. I'll make due. I actually love building antennas, and have a vertical moxon, and horizontal one as well. I am building a square loop antenna as well when the weather clears... june or so! (skywire)

Now as for all of us being on hills, I'm actually in a hole! Sideband allows them hear me I suppose. Its rare we talk to anyone AM, unless the channel goes am due to some ones capabilities, which it often does. That is on a extreme local channel, with in 30 miles or less. Mostly much less. If the long distance guys went AM, I wouldnt have a chance hearing them. I barley hear them now. I have no clue why any one would choose AM over SSB, I can get 3 times the distance, for 1/10th the power on SSB. My son and I normally talk from mobile to mobile aprox 16 miles on 1 watt, if we hit a low spot we PUMP it up, crank the mic gain to 22 watts! Wont here a AM guy say that, unless he is running 1500 watts. :headbang Dont get me wrong, we have capabilities, but have texas stars, we prefer to use the preamp instead of the amplifier. (can use the preamp without the amplifier on a texas star) We have dug in a few times, when conditions require it, 30-50 miles apart.

Back to the beam.... I can duplicate the 103, and make one that faces a different direction. Or, to make things easier, just order another one. I like the weight on them, they are very light.

Hey 6, do all the element change length electrically like the driven element?

well, I would think if you wanted to model the elements to get it to the EXACT best , then adjusting the H and V elements for each freq would be best. it would really be two seperate antennas on the same boom.

same idea as having (say) 2 meter and a 440 Mhz elements on the same boom with a seperate feedline and matching system

well, I would think if you wanted to model the elements to get it to the EXACT best , then adjusting the H and V elements for each freq would be best. it would really be two seperate antennas on the same boom.

same idea as having (say) 2 meter and a 440 Mhz elements on the same boom with a seperate feedline and matching system

Me thinks you misunderstand my question. As I understand it, the Step-IR has a motorized device that adjusts the driven element to resonance at other frequencies and maybe even different bands. My question is, are the other elements motorized and adjustable like the driven element.

I have no interest in this antenna other than this question.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.