• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mac software for USB dongle Receiver?

BenMara

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 16, 2013
SC swamplands
Does anyone know if there is software to use the USB Stick SRD receiver thing?
ex. Like one of these
Its windows supported, but i dont have a windows machine and i rather not buy another machine or run windows.

Tkx
Ben

Does anyone know if there is software to use the USB Stick SRD receiver thing?
ex. Like one of these
Its windows supported, but i dont have a windows machine and i rather not buy another machine or run windows.

Tkx
Ben

I'm taking you at your word that this dongle can't be run on a Mac natively (my initial searching also suggests that you can't, at least not through the manufacturer's software).

I'm also assuming that returning the device in lieu of getting one that's Mac-compatible is also not an option for you (or simply biting the bullet and buying a different, compatible device).

Sorry, but you're going to have to run Windows in order to get it to work (don't panic, see below).

That being said, you do have the option of installing VirtualBox on your Macintosh (it's a free program), and running an installation of Windows Vista or Windows 7 within it. A "virtual box" is essentially running a machine within a machine. This will require that you have access to a Windows CD (and I know that you know someone that has one -- I'll mail you a copy if you don't). Don't attempt to download one from the Internet -- you won't find one that isn't infected with multiple viruses.

I mentioned Windows Vista and 7, specifically, because they don't require a CD-Key in order to be installed. They'll just annoy you with "activation" prompts from time to time, even after the initial 30-day window "expires." All other versions of Windows, including version 8, won't let you install them unless you provide a CD-key up front. Versions Vista and 7 let you "skip" that part for eternity, lol.

Basically you'll start the Virtualbox software, create a new Virtualbox, and follow the prompts to install Windows within that box. After that, all you'll have to do is start that Windows "installation" from within the VirtualBox program, where you'll be free to install whatever Windows-compatible software/programs/drivers you need to get the job done.

The only thing I need to further suggest it to make sure that VirtualBox allows your "virtual Windows" machine to see USB connections to your "host" computer. This is done through the settings menu on VirtualBox. Otherwise, your virtual-Windows machine might not notice when you connect devices like your dongle.

I hope my explanation is at least clear as mud. :wub: I practice geek-speak far better than I speak it. ;)

If you get stuck, you can also send me a PM and I'll try to contact you directly.

Below is a snapshot of me running a Windows 7 installation within a Linux virtual box, using a program that's almost identical to VirtualBox (the software I'm using isn't free):

snapshot.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yea for a long time ive been using parallels to run HRD, but the Hardware is taking its tole. It to the point id have to upgrade just to run HRD and that would be a $1k upgrade. But currently the financing is not going to work for a very long time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.