• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco 200 ??

• Thread starter 1Misplaced Yankee
  • Start date

1Misplaced Yankee

I just got a maco 200 base amp . To be honest I know nothing about tube amps. How manys watt's should I see out of it 4 [6lb6]. What should I set the dk out of my radio at. I know you have to warm them up on standby for a few minutes.The load and tune controls control the output. There is a match control on the rear of the amp what's that for??And anything else I might be missing. Thanks in advance,,, MpY

</p>

maco 200

I have one and love it.

Turn the amp on and let it warm up for a 1/2 hour or so. If it has been sitting for a long time, over a year then let it warm up for 12-15 hours.

Set your exciter (radio) to the highest dead key within reason - not to exceed 30 watts.

Adjust the "tune" and "load" for max power on the watt meter. Don't key down more than 10 seconds at a time.

Then turn your exciter (radio) down to the normal dead key that you use.

Adjust the "load" to a lower operating level (turn clockwise) to where you get max swing or lower then max. on the watt meter.

I can feed mine with the exciter (radio) set at 3 watts (30 watts with amp set for low) and it will swing to about 120 watts out.

On high power setting the dead key combination of exciter and amp to around 100 watts it will swing to 300 watts or so.

I use mine off and on several times a day so I leave it turned on all the time (day and night). Turning the power on and off may not be best for the tubes (In other words, don't turn it on and off several times a day). If you only use it occasionally then make sure you let it warm up at least a 1/2 hour before tuning or using it. Always check the setting (load settings) before actually using it.

They say that with good tubes it should get between 175 and 250 watts on high. As you can see, I guess I have good tubes. But my radio also swings to about 20 watts from 3 watts dead key. I have another radio that swings only to about 12-14 watts and the amp on low will still get me 100 watts and on high just a little under 280 watts.

It is an amplifier so the more your radio swings the higher the amp will magnify your power.

I have one and love it.

Turn the amp on and let it warm up for a 1/2 hour or so. If it has been sitting for a long time, over a year then let it warm up for 12-15 hours.

Set your exciter (radio) to the highest dead key within reason - not to exceed 30 watts.

Adjust the "tune" and "load" for max power on the watt meter. Don't key down more than 10 seconds at a time.

Then turn your exciter (radio) down to the normal dead key that you use.

Adjust the "load" to a lower operating level (turn clockwise) to where you get max swing or lower then max. on the watt meter.

I can feed mine with the exciter (radio) set at 3 watts (30 watts with amp set for low) and it will swing to about 120 watts out.

On high power setting the dead key combination of exciter and amp to around 100 watts it will swing to 300 watts or so.

I use mine off and on several times a day so I leave it turned on all the time (day and night). Turning the power on and off may not be best for the tubes (In other words, don't turn it on and off several times a day). If you only use it occasionally then make sure you let it warm up at least a 1/2 hour before tuning or using it. Always check the setting (load settings) before actually using it.

They say that with good tubes it should get between 175 and 250 watts on high. As you can see, I guess I have good tubes. But my radio also swings to about 20 watts from 3 watts dead key. I have another radio that swings only to about 12-14 watts and the amp on low will still get me 100 watts and on high just a little under 280 watts.

It is an amplifier so the more your radio swings the higher the amp will magnify your power.

Whoaa there!!! A ten minute warm up period is more than enough, almost double enough. The dead key of the radio should not exceed 4 watts maximum. With the price of tubes 3 watts is even better. No way do you ever hit it with 30 watts dead key....the keying circuit can't take it if it is stock. If it is a 6LB6 amp it is older than the majority of Maco 200's out there. Those were used in the first amps and were swapped out for 8950's in later versions.
Pretune the amp by dead keying the radio into it and adjust for maximum dead key on the amp by rotating the controls. Don't keep it keyed very long and keep watch on the tubes to make sure they are not turning red in the center. Once you have the amp pretuned you can tune for max forward swing by saying AHHHHH into the mike. You should only have one control (Load) that will make the swing increase and at the same time decrease the dead key.
These are very good amps and reliable as long as you do not abuse them. Yes they will take it but for how long? Treat it the way it was designed and it will give many years of service. You might want to check the capacitors in the HV supply to make sure no crud is oozing out of them. But be careful, the amp has voltage in excess of 900 VDC in it. It will ruin your day if you come into contact with it.

BC

Reactions: AppleValley_Jim

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.