• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 300 blowing radio finals

I certainly will! Haven’t had a chance to take it to the tech but plan too in the next couple weekends. After speaking with him, he seemed to think everything had to do with a bad keying relay. Said replacing that and lining it up should take care of the issue!

I certainly will! Haven’t had a chance to take it to the tech but plan too in the next couple weekends. After speaking with him, he seemed to think everything had to do with a bad keying relay. Said replacing that and lining it up should take care of the issue!
Well I'm certainly not even in the realm of a technician and not very technical,lol
I had a Maverick 250 that ended up needing a relay a couple of guys said $20 some dollar part at the time. It's been a few years but I believe it would key up sometimes and would not key sometimes. I think somebody even clean the relay with a dollar bill or maybe some Emery cloth, but don't hold to that because it has been a bit, didn't help in the long run maybe temporarily.

my understanding was the the entire keying circuit would be replaced with a custom heavy duty unit. The tech said that Maco put a substandard part in to begin with.
Well I'm certainly not even in the realm of a technician and not very technical,lol
I had a Maverick 250 that ended up needing a relay a couple of guys said $20 some dollar part at the time. It's been a few years but I believe it would key up sometimes and would not key sometimes. I think somebody even clean the relay with a dollar bill or maybe some Emery cloth, but don't hold to that because it has been a bit, didn't help in the long run maybe temporarily.

Reactions: Keto
Any kind of abrasive tends to permanently damage the contact points in that kind of relay.

Solvent and a non-abrasive, like typing paper should be drawn through the contacts as they are held together against the surfaces of the paper strip.

Anything that removes metal from the contacts will damage them. And if one or more contact points is pitted and rough-looking you just need a new relay. Who knows, maybe the new one will last 30 or 40 years like this one did.

But that's all you get from a lot of relays.

Maco combined their preamp and keying circuit on the same circuit board. It's fine when it works, not so much when it breaks. The parts are hard to reach.

This is what we use. [/url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/114474255127?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649[/URL]

Just works

And if the relay contacts are damaged or worn out, you still need to replace it. Just checked RF Parts for that relay, says they're out of stock.

Oops.

I know this is a dead thread so sorry for that but what did you ever do about that amp radio situation?

Reactions: BC Coyote
The OP hasn't signed in here for three years, so not sure you'll get a response......
Oh I should have looked at that but I didn't think about it here I'm dredging up old threads for nothing. It's kind of wondering what the rest of the story was as I was reading it. Appreciate the heads up though!

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.