• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco Alpha V5/8 Groundplane Question

if you were on the maco v5/8, lazy, heard you real good from tampa bay sunday afternoon. if you weren't on a v5/8, you still sounded good! was listening in on a non-converted (at the time) ham rig. by the time i flipped the antenna switch, you were gone. needlebender triple 7 down in sarasota did return to us though.....come up to 13 anyway, us northerners will always say hello!

im002605nf8.jpg

As most of you know, the feeding coax center conductor goes to that ring, and the ring goes to the radiating part of the antenna AND to the part of the antenna that is mounted to the mast (ground side?).

I don't understand why the "hot" rf feedline goes to both places. Someone please enlighten me.

(Note this is condensed/simple version) ( with an attempt at humor )

RF is a strange thing indeed, to look at it, one would think that
"hey this will never work, it is a DC short, from hot to ground"
Ahhh but RF is AC, and it is a picky beast, it goes were it feels comfortable, and the Rf being feed to that ring is really wanting a 50 ohm load, and it finds it at the feedpoint were it is tapped on the ring.
This is another way to look at it very simply.
I have been playing with Mobile HF antennas, a lot of times, you can have an antenna cut to the right length, but it will NOT show a 50 ohm load.
And often to get them to match, I have been using a hand wound coil at the base of the antenna, one end is hooked to ground, and the other to the antenna itself. Now to look at it, it is a direct DC short to ground, but by taping the coil at the right point with the center lead of the coax.....Ahhhh I find the spot were that RF sees a 50 ohm load (or close) and it decides to go up and out, rather than just going to ground. It really wants to find a 50 ohm load.
Here is something to remeber with RF.
The maximum power transfer occurs when the loads ares matched, so 50 output at the radio, 50 ohm coax and a 50 ohm feedpoint looks much better to the RF than that DC short.
to put it simply.
That help?

Now Don`t go beating me up because I did not quote the ARRL Hand book, and 12,147 math equations explaining how RF reallys works... I use the K.I.S.S method (y)
LOL
And every time I start rattling on like this I think I should change my name to something like "Doc"
( who needs holiday inn? )

Jeff

That make perfect sense to me Audioshockwave. Thanks for putting the cookies on the bottom shelf. RF is ac not dc, looking for the match and the easiest way out. I get it now.

Thanks,
Lazy

Hey Josh - how is the old clan on channel 13? Miss you guys.

Jeff

Lazy,

Everybody's doing real well.. 350 got his antenna in a pine tree and with that elevation he is murderin folks, lol.

I got a 3 3-500z tube box next to my desk and a set of laser 400's that I'm going to be putting on the tower soon as it gets warm enough to actually mess with it.

W.W., Mountain Man, and my dad all ride on their harleys every weekend and wreak havoc, lol.

I'll give everyone a shout for ya :) Hope all is well on that end..

FWIW: My v5/8 was worth 2s units over my antron 99 :)

later,
Josh

Switchkit - good picture - it is flipped though according to the assembly manual.

Just looking at the assemble antenna it looks like the rf would flow in both directions on the ring and the mounting mast if metal would radiate, and the blue line switchkit put on the picture would go both ways as well. Very interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Made me think. I know, imagine that. ;=)

Electricity (and rf) take the path of the least resistance. This is the same as a J-pole; fed against ground. Thus the transmitted signal climbs the radiator; since ground is essentially dead for electricity/rf, which forces the electrical/rf signal to the resonant portion of the radiator, up and out of the antenna into free space where it is received by other receivers. I hope this simplistic approach/explanation helps.

peace :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.