• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco v Quad ????

Why? Well Rob, for a technical answer you will have ask some one else.

But for many years around here, the guys that wanted to talk long distance dx, always kept the antenna in "V", the antenna showed a stronger signal in the horizontal, then when mounted "L".

That's the only reason that I know why......

As an L it would be vertically polarized and as a V it will be horizontally polarized. Horizontal antennas benefit from an additional 5-8 dB gain from ground reflections that vertical antennas do not.

Reactions: Beetle
I know this is an old thread but, I just bought a V-Quad and it should be delivered later this week. I've read that this little beam works fairly well close to the ground. I plan to have this antenna up about 30-35 ft. (limited options due to space).

I guess the consensus is to run this in the V setup for best all around performance?

Hello to everyone I'm new to the forum and looking for some antenna advice. I've got an Antron 99 up now on my base and I'm looking for a beam to put up with it. I don't want a big beam because I don't have room, and only have a push up pole, but think something like the V Quad that works with dual poarity would be good. Does anybody have any experience with this antenna? The only thing that I'm really concerned with is running the pole up between the elements on the beam to mount the Antron 99 above it. Will the pole between the elements affect the beams performance ? I'm also looking at the SE Thunder 8 XB antenna, how do you think it would compare to the V Quad, I know it doesn't have dual polarity.
I just purchased a Maco 3 element V quad beam. I must say that I am very happy with it. I have made long distance contacts all over the US, Trinidad, England, Spain, Portugal, Jamaica and others. I have it about 11 feet off the ground on a tripod with steel pipe as a mast. I don’t have much room either and the two element would have been better for the given space I have and the two eliment would been a little easier to handle. I am in my 70’s so small is good. The only thing I think I notice is I can hear stations on the back side of the beam a little better than I expected but the side rejection is great. I am happy with my choice, a good antenna.

On my V quad side rejection was a good bit better than rear rejection. Could knock out my neighbors solar panels easily from the side. Rear would knock down the noise, but would not totally knock it out like the side did.

Hello to everyone I'm new to the forum and looking for some antenna advice. I've got an Antron 99 up now on my base and I'm looking for a beam to put up with it. I don't want a big beam because I don't have room, and only have a push up pole, but think something like the V Quad that works with dual poarity would be good. Does anybody have any experience with this antenna? The only thing that I'm really concerned with is running the pole up between the elements on the beam to mount the Antron 99 above it. Will the pole between the elements affect the beams performance ? I'm also looking at the SE Thunder 8 XB antenna, how do you think it would compare to the V Quad, I know it doesn't have dual polarity.

I had a set of V-Quads in the 70's which were the Originals & my Starduster & Super Scanner both out talked them with ease.I gave the V-Quad to a friend & he stacked them & he ran much more power than me & I kicked his butt on DX with the Starduster & the Super Scanner.I consider them a waste of time money & effort.A small three element beam will blow them away.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW

I ran a set of stacked 2 element v quads back in the 70s and 80s and talked all over the world with them. If a ground plane or Super Scanner kicked their butt then something was not right with them if the locations were similar.

Reactions: Marconi
Have had one on the air continuously for about 25 years. It has survived high winds, ice and snow without a breakdown. Worked over 200 countries on ten meters SSB with it. Horizontally polarized. One wavelength up. Outstanding performance for a antenna of its size and cost to get on the air. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated