• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco v5000 Radial question.

Rob Berger

Jun 28, 2017
Southeastern Tennessee
So I posted this in the CB antenna forum with no response. I just need a little insight or someone experience with this. I've searched and searched and I've read several posts but still not getting a clear answer. I have a Maco V5000 and I'm about to add a Maco M103 beam on my tower ( horizontal ). The V5000 will be about 5 feet above the beam. Can I remove the ground radials on the V5000? I feel they may effect the performance of the beam. I've read several posts about distance and so many go from a full wavelength to a foot above. I know removing the ground radials may effect the V5000 but won't the beam replace the somewhat?

Rob:
I would not remove them (radials) I believe tuning would go to hell, if it even worked.
I had an old Sigma 5/8th up years ago about 8 ft above my tri-bander...worked fine.
I also had a AR-10 Ringo (10m antenna) 1/2 wave "stick" you could hear a difference off the end of the tri-band elements...was not truly significant but noticeable.
So, the beam can work that way, but would not bet it would not affect tuning and performance for BOTH antennas.
Make sure you use a very strong mast (double wall thickness/Steel) you are adding a lot of wind load.
I had "black pipe" mast about 18 foot above tower...Huge thrust bearing at top to hold mast in place.
Tri-bander was about 5 ft. above tower/2-meter beams then the GP at like 80 ft base...
at one point.
When first installed had just the tri-bander and GP...worked fine...
GOOD Medium/HD duty rotor and bearing at top of tower is a must here in the Mid-West (IND) weather.
I used a Alliance HD73/Yaesu thrust bearing on my free standing 54ft tower...
I have a Tail twister II for the newer tower for the big tri-bander plus 2 and 6 meter beams.

I would suggest nothing smaller than a HAM III or Yaesu 450 for your set-up
GL
All the Best
Gary

G-450A YAESU G450A 10 SQ FT ROTOR (rlham.com)

Roger, shows these Out of Stock...he sells them fast at that price!!!!
Call them great people to deal with...Family/Ham business.(y)
Tower 1 pic II.JPG

That's a Yaesu G-800DXA rotor on that antenna (6 elements on 25 ft boom for 6m) plus the 2m GP (16ft tall) @ 40-45ft to boom height.

GS-050 YAESU GS050 50mm THRUST BEARING (MAST DIAMETER 1-1/4" - 2") (rlham.com)

at the top of tower.
Gary

Last edited:
ROB: Any Pics of your set-up? SE/Tenn should be good location for Euro/Africa DX once the band really get rolling (soon we hope!!!)
Been a Ham since 1979...Worked about everyplace, but still fun when the bands are running.
6 Meter addicted now, only casual DX'r on the other bands (100++ countries worked) several times on multiple bands.
Still having fun!!
I left 11m years ago (maybe 25+ yrs.) and LOVE 10 and 15 meters...
Much quieter, lots of room, no noise toys:)
Again Enjoy
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated