• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Maco V58/5000 info thread. Myths busted!

Tokin

The Man With No Shoes
Oct 31, 2019
SandBox
Hey folks so I recently purchased maco v58 ground plane antenna and this being the first new antenna ive ever assembled by my self I did a lot of forum reading. Through that reading I found information that wasnt quite right or not right at all, old as hell and not in one place. Some of the info I was looking for required quite a bit of back and forth to get the right answer so I thought maybe a busted myth/info thread might help the next person building, tuning and upgrading this antenna.

First I want to say putting this antenna together was pretty easy. The directions were pretty clear as to what parts go where. I finished assembly in about 1.5 hours.

MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE
Its all in the directions here
http://www.macoantennas.net/AssemblyInstructions.html

The "total length" of the antenna is measured from the bottom of the base to the tip, meaning the total length of the entire unit top to bottom.

As far as tuning again follow the directions
All the measurements you need are there. Trial and error coupled with small increments of adjustment when you're close are your friends.I found using a Sharpie to mark adjustments helped me greatly.

The V58 and the V5000 are not the same antenna except for the so239 connector and feed line.
The difference is in the base itself.
The V58 uses a nylon insulator where the V5000 uses a virgin teflon insulator, thats the only difference. The so239 female supplied looks to also be teflon insulated so I see no need to change I dont believe.
If you would like to convert your V58 to V5000 you need to replace the base only and its $48.00 plus the ride. Here is info and a link.

Part # BA5P V5000 base
http://www.antennapartsoutlet.com/Pages/Products/Antennas/V5000.html

I hope this helps the next guy. Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Looks like I got the total length WRONG!
Here is exactly what the directions say, bottom measure point is " below the hole for the mounting bracket C13P"Screenshot_2019-11-29-12-22-36.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.