• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco v58 again!

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
just got another one of these in a trade..the first time I attempted putting one up on a 20ft pole it was tough. Would it be better to keep the radials off untill I mount it to my mast..and have a helper on the roof? Should I just walk it up??need advice on this one...I have a Antron 99 but really want to try the Maco out

You may or may not be able to tune the antenna without the radials, but the antenna was designed to be used with said radials. Further, the radials being present also eliminate a few potential problems. I wouldn't transmit on it unless the radials were installed.

When it comes to mounting it on the roof, that depends on the roof in question. The last two of those I installed I was the only person on the roof, but they weren't high enough above said roofs that I needed assistance from someone else.

The DB

Reactions: 222DBFL
You may or may not be able to tune the antenna without the radials, but the antenna was designed to be used with said radials. Further, the radials being present also eliminate a few potential problems. I wouldn't transmit on it unless the radials were installed.

When it comes to mounting it on the roof, that depends on the roof in question. The last two of those I installed I was the only person on the roof, but they weren't high enough above said roofs that I needed assistance from someone else.

The DB
Should I pull it up on the roof and THEN install the radials? Or ? How have most installed this antenna?

In one of the cases I mentioned above I had all four radials on the antenna and set it near the corner of the house. This was a ranch home, and the roof was not steep, the antenna was tall enough that I could reach out and touch it, I had no problem getting it on the roof myself. The other house had a much steeper roof. I had three radials on the antenna and took the fourth up with me and put that one on on the roof after pulling the antenna up. I used a rope tied to the antenna to pull it up as this house had close to two and a half stories in height to the roof where I was standing. I was at the peak of the roof when pulling it up as I felt safer than elsewhere on said roof.

The DB

Reactions: Marconi and Bearcat
In one of the cases I mentioned above I had all four radials on the antenna and set it near the corner of the house. This was a ranch home, and the roof was not steep, the antenna was tall enough that I could reach out and touch it, I had no problem getting it on the roof myself. The other house had a much steeper roof. I had three radials on the antenna and took the fourth up with me and put that one on on the roof after pulling the antenna up. I used a rope tied to the antenna to pull it up as this house had close to two and a half stories in height to the roof where I was standing. I was at the peak of the roof when pulling it up as I felt safer than elsewhere on said roof.

The DB
A rope might just work!

The DB
How well did it do for you and would you use one again?

A rope? It did the job, yes I would use one again. I had it tied to the bottom, and I had it looped around the vertical part of the antenna and brought between the rope and the antenna before continuing up. Here is a pic of what I did with the upper part of the rope to hold the antenna straight, although this is on a log, same principle...

KnotsLine-PullHitch.jpg

The DB

Bearcat, is the roof your only option for mounting your GP antenna?

After years of doing the same I found such installations to cause excessive damage to the house and I don't recommend it, besides it being dangerous...damage is very expensive to repair.

If you can get it at least 10' feet above the roof however, and pretty much in free space above and around your home, however such worked well for me on the roof and in mild climate areas.

What are you going to do about securing the mount, and will it require guy lines? Attaching an antenna and such lines to the house can do a lot of expensive damage over time in the weather...if the application is not well thought out and your attachments to the wood are not very good and maintained.

I would recommend a free standing push-up pole, out away from other stuff around it, if you can guy it well...at maybe two levels over 30' feet is best. One level of guying works for me in normal weather.

Personally a good working Imax or A99 will work pretty much as good as a V58, and they will hold up much better. However, I have locals that worked their V58 for many years with out fail. There may be a little difference between these 3, but I don't know as you will likely notice just working your radio. I doubt you will ever fail to make a contact due to such a little difference.

Good luck, keep us posted, and be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.