• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V58 or 5000

Update

Ok so I finally got a cool day andall that to mess with this antenna

Had to redo the antenna all together he had elements inside of each other and all that so i figured that was the problem. So I got the antenna the long part is exactly 240 inches now and the horizontal elements each 4" inside of another. .... Put the radio on the antenna hollered and made a contact. The antenna is about the same height as the antron 99 I have also.

I asked for a signal report - He said 5 Dollars - OK not bad - Told him to wait a minute

Put the antron 99 on the radio asked for a report

I was throwing him a 6 1/2

Any other recommendations - I thought this antenna is better. lol

-------------------------
Galaxy DX66V
Tune and Peak: 2 DK Swing 32
D104 with 47K Resister Modification
Swinger F-505 Amplifier
Antron 99 25 Feet High
Maco V58 20 Feet High
(Needs Tuned)
Yaesu YS-60 CB/Ham - SWR/Power Meter

There are so many variables here.

Same coax? Same height? Same location? Did you check the SWR? Did you clean any of the corroded parts in order to make a good electrical connection (always use Scotch Bright pads and NEVER steel wool!). How does the connector look and the screw that attaches it?

I hate to say this, but if the A-99 is beating your Maco, you are doing something wrong or physics works diffferent where you live. :shock:

:eek: Master, what happens if you use steel wool on them aluminium parts :?:

I think I used some fine wet/dry sandpaper and a small amount of electrical geese with silly cone to seal it up

The steel and the aluminum do not interact nicely. Little slivers of steel will cause corrosion in the electrical joints. Its best not to use it. I wouldn't use sandpaper either!

Scotch Bright pads are the way to go! They are made of plastic and is easlily wiped away!

Be sure to use Noalox (or equivilent) on all your aluminum joints! You can buy a lifetime supply at Home Depot for CHEAP!

Go to Home Depot, and type "NOALOX in the search box at the top of the screen.

Pointer,

Was your contact a fixed local base station?
Or was it DX???
S-Signals in DX change to fast for antenna testing.
Make sure your SWRS are good.
I have heard of a few people that have had the same trouble
your having with your Maco 5/8. They played around
with it until they finally hit the right combination.
If the A-99 is doing better to a fixed local base station
than the Maco 5/8, you still have issues for sure.

Pointer,

Also a true test is to have both antennas in the
same exact spot, same height.
I have dead spots here in certain areas. I can mount
2 antennas same height, but, 20 ft or so away from
each other and the one out more toward the yard will
drop 3 S-units. Mount it where the other one is and
i gain the 3 S-units back. Dead Spot...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.