• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V58 or 5000

pointer

Jul 13, 2005
Custer, Kentucky
I've aquired an antenna and I'm not sure if its the V58 or the 5000 is there anyway I knowing exactly which one it is.

also I've been working on this antenna as the person that had it only had it stuck out like 130 inches or so for some odd reason and i've extended it out but it doesn't seem to have the receive that my A99 does nor the transmit. I was using a Uniden PC78LTW and could talk to a guy 15 - 20 miles from me throwing him a S5 but when I put it on this the Maco ??? with SWR around a 1.8 ( will work on getting it lower ) I wasn't even moving his needle. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Maco

Ok that answers that question - Thanks Alot

So why is this antenna not being a solid performer like the A99 - Not hardly throwing signal to one person on this Maco antenna but using the same radio throwing them like a S5 Signal..... SWR is around a 1.8 or so right now but I will do more adjusting - Just seems like this antenna isn't getting my best review so far.

130 inch sounds like he had it set for 6mtrs, measure the loop and groundplanes maybe he has altered those too, a maco will beat the a99 so you must have something wrong.

No he didn't have any 6 meter equipment - I do know that

He probably didn't know what he was doing. How long are the ground plane radials suppose to be long?

Sounds like I don't know what I'm doing either LOL :roll: ;)

noy sure i would think somewhere around 96 inch depends how thick the tubing is and what frequency you want it centered on

your best bet would be to post in jays section A1antennas, he will have a better idea than most on here, its years since i owned a maco 5/8 type antenna.

Verticle Elements:

To install the verticle elements #T43P,T18P, T15P use
a felt tip marker and ruler and mark 6 inches from
the unslotted end. Mark T10P 4 inches from one end.
Now using the clamps and hardware slide the unslotted
ends into the larger section to the mark and tighten clamps.
Overall length from Freq chart is 240" for 27 mhz.
Horz radials
Take the 4 horz radials and using a marking pen mark
4 inches from the end on all 4 radials. Insert the marked end to the mark and tighten. Exact length not critical.
Maco 5/8 assembly directions can be found at:
http://www.majestic-comm.com/assembly/index.htm

The V5000 has a thicker insulator in the base section to prevent the antenna from arcing over to the main element. They also use a larger wire from the coax connector to the ring. This antenna is superior to the A-99 (so is a piece of 14ga wire!).

The materials are marginal and is not very mechanically sound, but it IS a 5/8 wave!

Most people buy the V58 to save a few $$ and then run big power through them. The plastic insulator will melt and the stupid screw they use to hold on to P08P arcs and shorts to the main element. Check this area for proper installation!

If you follow the rest of the instructions, you should get close to 1.2 and outperform the A-99 before even hooking up coax! :twisted:

Auh yes !! The Maco Alpha V-5/8 .....my all time favorite cb radio antenna !! ....treat them right and they will last you a life time , if the weather should beat them up ? nothing some good ole brillo pad won't clean up after about 10 years or so. I'd guess to say that I've put up a half a dozen of those over the years ....the instructions are fairly easy to follow through with ....I would always solder on a bigger gaged wire from the get go, but you really don't have to. Would take one of those over a 99/2000/M-400(Starduster) or even a Spectrum 1600 anyday of the week !! As far as the cb band goes .....even though the directions call for a longer leingh .....all the ones I put up always had to be somewhat shorter then the directions called for ? All would match the same ...1.3 1.1 1.3 .....grand on the band as they would say !!! (-:

I don't think I could help you any more with your setup than you've already received. But I will just provide my own lip service for the V58--it's a great antenna, and IMHO, better than the A99 and IMax2000.

i would say set up right it is a great little antenna..
if you do not get it going well...

then go get Jay's Interceptor I-10K
i can tell you as will anyone who has it..
nothing else in vertical antennas even come close..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.