• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V58 (or similar) - Where to get one?

ww981

Aug 11, 2022
SoCal
Hi, looking to get back into the hobby and looking to pickup a Maco V5/8. Where's the best place to pick one of these up these days? Seems like they're a hit and miss. I had one 20 years ago and absolutely loved that thing. But eventually got out of the hobby as I was gong into High School and lost touch with CB stuff. Now I'm in my early 40's and getting back into it. Thanks.
s-l500.jpg

They're easily available doing a quick web search but be ready to pay today's shipping cost. Still a great antenna and still readily available.

I've got one put away in the attic for future use after relocating to where the panhandle winds don't roar.

Reactions: TIN_CAN
And welcome to the forum and back to the cb addiction lol
Lol, for sure! Just hooked up a barefoot radio in my pickup and threw on the Wilson 1000 and made some contacts from SoCal to the east coast… missed that feeling of a successful contact! Good to be back on the air!

And yeah, what you’ve said about the antenna is about right. Wow, sticker shock has set in… but I guess I’m still comparing to prices from 1997. But I have a real difficult time paying around $240 shipped for a few pieces of aluminum. Insane!

I know there are other manufacturers out there now, like the Sirio 2016, but I just have zero experience with them. I knew and loved the Maco v58 so I guess old habits.

But thanks for the reply, I’ll keep poking around to see what I can find.

After 30 years I just put my V58 back up. I’ve been running a Sirio 2016 also, but I have trouble wrapping my head around radials being 27” long. And, because everyone should have at least 3 antennas, I mounted 2 102” whips as a vertical dipole in a tree. But the V58 just soothes my old brain with 9’ radials. Have fun and welcome back.

After 30 years I just put my V58 back up. I’ve been running a Sirio 2016 also, but I have trouble wrapping my head around radials being 27” long. And, because everyone should have at least 3 antennas, I mounted 2 102” whips as a vertical dipole in a tree. But the V58 just soothes my old brain with 9’ radials. Have fun and welcome back.
Nice that you still have the v58! I sold mine to a friend and have no idea what happened to it after that. Dang...

How do you like the Sirio 2016? If you had to compare it to the Maco, do you feel they perform about the same or is there a clear advantage from one over the other? Being they are both 5/8 wave, one could assume they would be about the same. But the difference in design is vast and makes me wonder how well the shortened radials of the 2016 work with the noise floor.

I know a lot has changed since 1997, but dang, it seems there is a lot more "noise" these days. Be it from solar panels, LED's lights and all the other electronic stuff we have in life these days, so much noise!

I like empirical data, so first let me be freakin non-empirical as possible. I’m running an Icom 756 Pro III and a 69ffb4. Switching between both radios and both antennas, there is a half an S unit drop on the Maco just listening to a 5-7 noise level. Went up to Channel 6 and no difference at that level on Rx.
When I’m yappin, I’ll switch back and forth to see if anyone notices any difference, call it a blind test? And nobody says a thing. If I ask for an antenna test, EVERYONE has a different report. Up a half, down a half, over a half. Wait a couple of days and switch back and forth, no one says a thing and they know I’m doing the switch thing. So, non-empirical as possible.

The one thing different is on the Maco I have GM3SEK’s version of a CMC and I didn’t want to put it on the Sirio. It’s an inductance on an inductance thing with me, call me foolish.

Now for the empirical. The first pic is the Sirio, second the Maco. The Maco may be coming down tomorrow? I have a new Sirio Starduster M 400 and want to play with that thing.

IMG_2615.JPGIMG_2614.JPG

Reactions: ww981
If I ask for an antenna test, EVERYONE has a different report. Up a half, down a half, over a half. Wait a couple of days and switch back and forth, no one says a thing and they know I’m doing the switch thing. So, non-empirical as possible.
Spot on.
On the air testing from random users is not very reliable, even worse if there is any kind of propagation activity.
You see people say that my new antenna kicks ass, I talked to Montana, New Zealand and Australia this morning.....
Thing is, the guy with a 28" tall center load mag mount just talked to the same guys.
Jeff

Reactions: Cookie55 and ww981
Right on @nbsr, I appreciate the info. I might just have to give the 2016 a shot - it's readily available and seems to have good reports everywhere I look. It's the skeptic in me that holds all the reservations on this thing; but what the hell, I'll give it a shot and if I hate it I can always swap it out.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Ended up with the Sirio 2016 and, yeah, it works! I'm pleasantly surprised how well it works. Absolutely flat 1.0 SWR across the band right from the start. And it gets out! Very happy with the purchase.

IMKpx19iHwc9NZzAuzX9kyZjEFkrR7_OAtgCUwzyy0MyQuTswV71Y89cXX0vjMjup5Cfzo5Drde4pWJyPVMDxhkPBO9Uc0_0XcK8Lg4hc0qvLfw7SHO2y80HGYUlKNLRvZxPbqwSY85JetQ2QGDIXelj0viZQZEWAV35RQerzP2kGPQBoSCWHYquT6MfISKjdzDoltZcmqTTq6BEyBwxPWRoMELg3T8D-xY4DTKII_2iSv_sPkc6FWYLKBajWYWtxNc-NOzi6aiZFhgkHloMvA6uzTVfIrm9FIbVnlA1dq7KAmNH0EeQFHDPtccIVrPEEUrEdvAextEBjNx1zEG9XUmaZazFP8_0gookbpcMZwdPm5_f_jp7rs23WFZ2afN-fVS2H_JOMHkYTFvT_eOH4ZXDFtt9-7JXx4RLC3kTZZKDWXIwFP7IlpWBjBKfHZvjwp6FxI0mdLxFu9imokN39wN378JQ3libdqlIfIiTlePqm5C9QhQQUckumrtsPqoM_GXIGKWj9CcrjVy_u4_998XFLxtzKtWfAhIgzozL_LqwbCXeBYSb5OMWtr6amUxJZPdBPOnhyXbKVraRjBrHANHmlGrYckC41AHbh2c1IbdoQF8CMfG3EQe4MiYQ_D26CT5TcVnwX8D75eQgiMdoKcpfw0Kx95W5EV1BvF82tVaCErdufB77mKgHWmv0NDLyS2oKkQIWV4JUSuwUHLoL4EK95pm-NlzHxH_eQoJGYXN_BBkUeoEedz5fQCNU=w744-h992-no

Ended up with the Sirio 2016 and, yeah, it works! I'm pleasantly surprised how well it works. Absolutely flat 1.0 SWR across the band right from the start. And it gets out! Very happy with the purchase.

IMKpx19iHwc9NZzAuzX9kyZjEFkrR7_OAtgCUwzyy0MyQuTswV71Y89cXX0vjMjup5Cfzo5Drde4pWJyPVMDxhkPBO9Uc0_0XcK8Lg4hc0qvLfw7SHO2y80HGYUlKNLRvZxPbqwSY85JetQ2QGDIXelj0viZQZEWAV35RQerzP2kGPQBoSCWHYquT6MfISKjdzDoltZcmqTTq6BEyBwxPWRoMELg3T8D-xY4DTKII_2iSv_sPkc6FWYLKBajWYWtxNc-NOzi6aiZFhgkHloMvA6uzTVfIrm9FIbVnlA1dq7KAmNH0EeQFHDPtccIVrPEEUrEdvAextEBjNx1zEG9XUmaZazFP8_0gookbpcMZwdPm5_f_jp7rs23WFZ2afN-fVS2H_JOMHkYTFvT_eOH4ZXDFtt9-7JXx4RLC3kTZZKDWXIwFP7IlpWBjBKfHZvjwp6FxI0mdLxFu9imokN39wN378JQ3libdqlIfIiTlePqm5C9QhQQUckumrtsPqoM_GXIGKWj9CcrjVy_u4_998XFLxtzKtWfAhIgzozL_LqwbCXeBYSb5OMWtr6amUxJZPdBPOnhyXbKVraRjBrHANHmlGrYckC41AHbh2c1IbdoQF8CMfG3EQe4MiYQ_D26CT5TcVnwX8D75eQgiMdoKcpfw0Kx95W5EV1BvF82tVaCErdufB77mKgHWmv0NDLyS2oKkQIWV4JUSuwUHLoL4EK95pm-NlzHxH_eQoJGYXN_BBkUeoEedz5fQCNU=w744-h992-no
i got same antenna ,.had it up since 2009 great antenna..wrote a review on copper electronics.com.where i got mine , they also carry the maco and everything ya want

Reactions: ww981
i got same antenna ,.had it up since 2009 great antenna..wrote a review on copper electronics.com.where i got mine , they also carry the maco and everything ya want

Nice to know it holds up over the years! If you've had one since 2009 and it's still rockin' then that's pretty good in my book. Thanks for the confirmation!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.