• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mag mount antennas

Bootlegger

Feb 18, 2006
Question about mag mount antennas. I have one that I have had for several years but don't use. It's a K-40 and it seems to draw the color out of the paint. It's not from grit being under it, but the paint will get dull it appears if I run it for any length of time. Is this common. That's the main reason I don't put it on top of my pickup. I also have a galaxy 73 from when I use to run over the road that works fine with the K-40 in the pickup. Any suggestions or does the paint just get dull to a point and no harm done to the finish. Thanks.

Bootlegger,
Part of it is water collecting under the mount, and oxidizing the wax/paint. Another part is that anything resting on a waxed or painted surface tends to wear a little away no matter how 'firm' it's sitting there. I'd say it's fairly common.
- 'Doc

PS - I agree with '2M Guy', drill a hole.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I use WIlson mags myself, and I put a small piece of thin, crystal clear self-stick vinyl under the antenna. It isn't enough thickness to hurt the antenna ground at all, but seems to save the paint. I personally prefer using mags over drilling holes in my (pretty?) truck, and a good mag with proper tuning will get you lots of range.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the magmount on now and will get a piece of clear plastic from home depot this week. Just have to keep check on it, but I can't bring myself to drill a hole in my truck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio