• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magic Band Diy Dipole

fogdog

Aug 29, 2013
East Tennessee Mountains
Here's my latest DIY antenna build. It's a 6m horizontal Dipole. I got the plans out of the ARRL small antenna book. 56" of wire on each side. The wire is supported by the PVC Pipe (instead of insulators and guy rope. Then I attempted to camouflage it. We have a 6 meter repeater in the area about 30 miles from me, and many mountains between my rig and the repeater, and this thing works well. Can't wait for some Sporatic E. Even on the flat side I'm able to talk locally with good reports. Of course my Buddy gave me the report. Here's a couple of bad cell phone pictures of it.
0203190800_HDR.jpg 0203190800a_HDR.jpg

I need to set up a 6m antenna. My plan is to make a dipole with a pair of 102 whips and feed them with a 1/4 wavelength of 450 ohm window line.

Reactions: fogdog
FD: Glad to see you get on 6m, however you might check the repeater group it is more than likely Vertical polarized. However if the antenna gets in now!...It AIN'T Broke don't fix it! :)
I started using 6 meter SSB about 6 years ago. I started with a rotatable dipole made from 3/4" ALM tubing at about 45 FT. w/100w. Had a friken blast Stateside/Canada, however just did not have the smoke or punch to get much else even though I heard really well.
Easily worked Op's 100+ miles away ground wave.
Then came along a Homebrew 3 element Yagi / 1/4 wave spacing at 40ft...Yep better, Carribean and a little S. America...I was HOOKED. Then added 400 watts...Better still!
Then 5 element LFA Beam on 14 ft. Boom w/400w...better still, added Africa and more Central & S. America next couple seasons :ROFLMAO:
Now really Pumped! (time span about 4+ yrs.) Homebrew KW amp!!
Last mid-summer took down the LFA.. add 6 Elements on 25 FT. boom(@40 Ft.)…
LMR-400max coax from 9913 (about 75ft run)…
More Africa/ almost all S. America confirmed...
Summer Eskip add: Portugal/Sweden/Greece/Isle of Man/England etc... ICELAND/GREENLAND/Labrador Islands confirmed!...bunches more Islands in Carribean (almost at will!:LOL:)
And my biggie thus far!..NEW CALIDONIA in the S. Pacific (look near New Zealand!)…
Still lack Alaska and HI. to get my 50 states...:mad:

Now over 100+ grids confirmed...
It's a FRIKEN obsession now!!!!:whistle::LOL:Meteor Scatter every morning...weak signal CW even OMFG!:love:
Hmmm? Maybe Stacked 6's at 50+ Ft. on a second tower... and full Legal Limit!!!
See what I mean!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Enjoy Enjoy!
Worked a Op just yesterday, I think, NH 100w and dipole at 20ft..he flipped out...He's hooked!... By the time chat was over he was thinking a Moxon or 3 "L" yagi (HOA- just above his carport)…
It's a sickness man believe me!:eek::)
All the Best
Gary

BJ radionut , your user name says it all brother. Wow, now that is really something. What a nice write up. it is a sickness to be sure.
I dont think my station is up to that task. My antenna is up 10 feet, and just 100 watt radio:(.
I put out a CQ every morning and evening on 50.125MHz, but haven't had a QSO yet.
I guess I can see why folks like 6m. I'm excited about it, but its going to have to be some super good conditions for me to work outside of the States

FD: Great to hear the interest!
Now a few things to add to list. Adding a second Dipole and proper length phasing harness at 5/8th's wave spacing above the other will give you aprox. 3 dBd. Which as you know will Double your ERP...Your 100w is now effectively 200w.
Likewise adding a second Element in a Yagi configuration will produce about the same, maybe even a smidgen more.
Feedline becomes "critical" on 6m a 2dB loss in your feedline equates to about a 30+% loss of power, both transmit and receive...So keep this in mind even 9913 or equivalent 100 FT. run at 50 MHz becomes a loss. I did notice a difference in some signals changing from 75 FT 9913 Belden to LMR-400max. Hence this next Spring/Summer I'll be replacing the 400 with 7/8th Hardline(Heliax).
Most 6m Addicts will tell you 35-50 FT in antenna height is the pretty optimized height for Eskip operation, at roughly 32 FT antenna height you begin to pick-up Ground Gain.
Some Op's I work have more than one antenna...1 at 30ft...another 45ft …. another 70ft.
Extreme yes, but this is due to angle the signal is being returned down from the reflective layer.
However, I just have the one presently in the middle of that window like 40-42ft above ground and it works well.
You must keep a close eye on the DX Clusters. 6 meters can open at anytime, sometimes the openings may last a few minutes or sometimes hours.
Many times the band is open and nobody home. Thus calling like you do for a few minutes at whatever time is a good thing.

Beacons: These are found in the 50.010 - 50.080...many, many in operation. They ID of course in CW. However just hearing a signal means you have a path somewhere (unless it's 10 miles down the road):LOL:
Even if you don't know CW, learn to pick out the callsign number, numbers were the easiest for me to learn and that will normally tell you, you may have a path that direction. Hearing several in that window means you have an opening...Start calling!
Nets: Check with the repeater group, see if you have any SSB nets in your local...or even try to get one started with the op's from the repeater group.
Band Plan: SSB- 50.110 and up to 50.124 DX Window. Don't get caught up working stateside guys there. You may call CQ certainly, but if a stateside answers move up to above 125 to continue(very common practice)
50.125 is considered the call freq. OK to answer and make contacts there, however if you start stringing 2 or 3 in a row, announce your moving up to 50.130 or above and 90% time any Op wishing to work you will move up also. Then call again.
This helps keep the frequency open for more traffic. Activity breeds activity!:)
50.400 AM call frequency
52.525 FM call frequency (vertical antenna)
I know there was more I want to say, but think my character limit has been exceeded!!!:whistle::LOL:
50.145...7 AM to 8 AM EST(every morning) Meteor Scatter net in Mid-West take a listen...you never know about conditions!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Look forward to putting you in the log from EM79 near Indy (but this little farm town dot,
I call Hooterville):whistle::D
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB...The voice of Radio Free Hooterville:ROFLMAO:

Gary,
Suggesting co-phasing a second antenna to double the power raises this question. If a four-fold increase is required to raise output by one "S" unit, is going from 100 watts to 200 that beneficial? I have always been confused by this.

Thanks,
Jim

3 dBd increase is a true gain of One Half an S Unit which doubles your power and increases receive also.
If that increase is focused in one direction...You be the judge.
3 Dbi gain is one thing (no real gain> less than 1 dBd)
3dBd gain is another. 5.2 Dbi = 3 dBd (aprox.):whistle:
All the Best
Gary

PS: Just worked FLA(600+ miles) and West Tenn. (300+ miles)...who says 6m never open!:ROFLMAO:
1:07z...8:07 EST...yehaw!:ROFLMAO:

3 dBd increase is a true gain of One Half an S Unit which doubles your power and increases receive also.
If that increase is focused in one direction...You be the judge.
3 Dbi gain is one thing (no real gain> less than 1 dBd)
3dBd gain is another. 5.2 Dbi = 3 dBd (aprox.):whistle:
All the Best
Gary

PS: Just worked FLA(600+ miles) and West Tenn. (300+ miles)...who says 6m never open!:ROFLMAO:
1:07z...8:07 EST...yehaw!:ROFLMAO:

That makes sense to me. And every little bit helps.
Thanks. (y)

Reactions: Slowmover
Jim: I look at this way, if you focus that gain in this pattern <
Then that gain is much more apparent than spread out 360* as a ground plane does.
As the total gain of the antenna is distributed somewhat equally over the entire radiated pattern. So thus 3dbd gain focused in a 25 degree beam pattern will have a much greater effect, than 3dbd in a 360* pattern as radiated by a ground plane.
Also if that gain is distributed in a figure 8 pattern as in stacked horizontal dipoles, it should have a greater effect than same gain distributed via the inverted V configuration dipole which tends to be more omni.
Now CK or DB may come in here and tell me I'm PHUEY( and that's OK/Then I learn something)...but I never claim to be the expert, I just try to look at some of this stuff in a logical way as best I can.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Got it!
If I were a betting man, I'd say you're right on the money.
Logic and I used to hang out together.
These days, not so much. o_O

Reactions: Tallman
FD: Great to hear the interest!
Now a few things to add to list. Adding a second Dipole and proper length phasing harness at 5/8th's wave spacing above the other will give you aprox. 3 dBd. Which as you know will Double your ERP...Your 100w is now effectively 200w.
Likewise adding a second Element in a Yagi configuration will produce about the same, maybe even a smidgen more.
Feedline becomes "critical" on 6m a 2dB loss in your feedline equates to about a 30+% loss of power, both transmit and receive...So keep this in mind even 9913 or equivalent 100 FT. run at 50 MHz becomes a loss. I did notice a difference in some signals changing from 75 FT 9913 Belden to LMR-400max. Hence this next Spring/Summer I'll be replacing the 400 with 7/8th Hardline(Heliax).
Most 6m Addicts will tell you 35-50 FT in antenna height is the pretty optimized height for Eskip operation, at roughly 32 FT antenna height you begin to pick-up Ground Gain.
Some Op's I work have more than one antenna...1 at 30ft...another 45ft …. another 70ft.
Extreme yes, but this is due to angle the signal is being returned down from the reflective layer.
However, I just have the one presently in the middle of that window like 40-42ft above ground and it works well.
You must keep a close eye on the DX Clusters. 6 meters can open at anytime, sometimes the openings may last a few minutes or sometimes hours.
Many times the band is open and nobody home. Thus calling like you do for a few minutes at whatever time is a good thing.

Beacons: These are found in the 50.010 - 50.080...many, many in operation. They ID of course in CW. However just hearing a signal means you have a path somewhere (unless it's 10 miles down the road):LOL:
Even if you don't know CW, learn to pick out the callsign number, numbers were the easiest for me to learn and that will normally tell you, you may have a path that direction. Hearing several in that window means you have an opening...Start calling!
Nets: Check with the repeater group, see if you have any SSB nets in your local...or even try to get one started with the op's from the repeater group.
Band Plan: SSB- 50.110 and up to 50.124 DX Window. Don't get caught up working stateside guys there. You may call CQ certainly, but if a stateside answers move up to above 125 to continue(very common practice)
50.125 is considered the call freq. OK to answer and make contacts there, however if you start stringing 2 or 3 in a row, announce your moving up to 50.130 or above and 90% time any Op wishing to work you will move up also. Then call again.
This helps keep the frequency open for more traffic. Activity breeds activity!:)
50.400 AM call frequency
52.525 FM call frequency (vertical antenna)
I know there was more I want to say, but think my character limit has been exceeded!!!:whistle::LOL:
50.145...7 AM to 8 AM EST(every morning) Meteor Scatter net in Mid-West take a listen...you never know about conditions!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Look forward to putting you in the log from EM79 near Indy (but this little farm town dot,
I call Hooterville):whistle::D
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB...The voice of Radio Free Hooterville:ROFLMAO:
Jim: I look at this way, if you focus that gain in this pattern <
Then that gain is much more apparent than spread out 360* as a ground plane does.
As the total gain of the antenna is distributed somewhat equally over the entire radiated pattern. So thus 3dbd gain focused in a 25 degree beam pattern will have a much greater effect, than 3dbd in a 360* pattern as radiated by a ground plane.
Also if that gain is distributed in a figure 8 pattern as in stacked horizontal dipoles, it should have a greater effect than same gain distributed via the inverted V configuration dipole which tends to be more omni.
Now CK or DB may come in here and tell me I'm PHUEY( and that's OK/Then I learn something)...but I never claim to be the expert, I just try to look at some of this stuff in a logical way as best I can.
All the Best
Gary

Thanks Gary for all of that information. That will really help me out. I'm already doing most of what you have suggested. Yes I can put that antenna up in a tree. I have 10 acres of them hahaha. Thanks for taking the time to help out a 6 meter newb:rolleyes:. This will give me some good guidelines. I got up to late to try and call you, but I will definitely try soon.
I discovered a 6 meter beacon 34 miles away the 1st day i put the dipole up. Wasn't sure what it was. After about a week of trying to decode the signal I confirmed it was a 6m beacon in Bristol, TN. After that I decided I needed to learn CW. Currently I'm studying for the Extra exam. Once I get that under my belt I'm going all in to learn CW. That beacon always comes in strong.
The folks who have the 6m repeater in Mountain City haven't maintained or, and it's not working well, and it's been that way for awhile I guess. There's only about 3 of us hams up here that use 6m. I guess it was pretty big up here years ago, but all those guys have moved on or went silent key.:(.
Any way thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but you just told me in 10 minutes what I've been trying to find out on my own for the past few weeks(y).

Found this article...found it interesting. Thought it might be of interest to many new 6m op's.
Eskip season is getting closer every day with the best Peaks June/July thru early August.
Get'ur done Op's...Have some RadioFun on the Magic Band :ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

The Featherweight 6m Yagi !
Notice in couple spots, he has mentioned "Stacking"
http://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/Build the Featherweight 6m Yagi.pdf

Reactions: binrat and fogdog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.