• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnetic or RM

Another vote for roof mount. Looks better than having an ugly wire running down the side of the vehicle. Plus the antenna will perform better, and you don't have to worry about the antenna sliding around and possibly scratching the roof.

ROOF MOUNT!!!!! I was using the mag mount Wilson5000, with a dx500 and a cobra 29lxle, I DID NOT want a hole in the roof, Either,BUT after 4-6 weeks the paint/clear under the mag started dulling and when tried to clean it, it wasnt coming clean, had to sand and polish it out.
So since the roof paint was gonna damage even more, I decided to grit my teeth and drill a hole. HAVE NOT REGRETED IT SINCE!! It is on a Ram QC 2500 about 2/3 way, (just behind the dome light) and its a little directional but not much.
Drilling the hole is the worst feeling.

Another vote for roof mount. Looks better than having an ugly wire running down the side of the vehicle. Plus the antenna will perform better, and you don't have to worry about the antenna sliding around and possibly scratching the roof.

I clean under the mount once a month and if it mars the finish I could care less.
As far as the ugly wire goes, on my truck it isn't a problem....on a car, another story.

001-1_zps633abae9.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
i still own 2 wilson 5k coils from mid-late 1990s. the magnets have long fell apart.lol
i might have to drill a hole i was on my back road and hit a low hang limb and
my antenna didnt fall over but it definately moved . with a mini van the roof
has the ribs running the whole lenth of the roof can i still drill a hole?

i still own 2 wilson 5k coils from mid-late 1990s. the magnets have long fell apart.lol
i might have to drill a hole i was on my back road and hit a low hang limb and
my antenna didnt fall over but it definately moved . with a mini van the roof
has the ribs running the whole lenth of the roof can i still drill a hole?

As long as the plastic standoff fits good on top and the gasket seals, do it.

Drilling a hole in your roof is not only bad for re-sale but simply stupid!!! If it's a car look into a trunk mount.

Drilling a hole in your roof is not only bad for re-sale but simply stupid!!! If it's a car look into a trunk mount.

A trunk mount will pretty much always give you a compromise location at best, as well as a compromise connection to the metal it is connected to as well. In my experience magnet mount antennas tend to have better connections that lip mount antennas. I also point out that the trunk lid (or hood for that matter) of the car are rarely the best locations as their connections to the rest of the car tends to be iffy at best. If you run power (a lot less than many people think actually) even rf bonding it is rarely enough.

I am not saying an antenna in such a location with such a connection won't work ok, but you are adding adding together several compromises so it definitely won't work as well as an antenna bolted to an optimal location on a car (the middle of the roof).

Also don't think that just because it is a trunk mount it will cause less damage than drilling holes, you are connecting to a thin piece of metal remember, winds over time (aka highway driving) can still bend the metal, possibly costing more in damage than plugging a few holes and repainting. Yes I have seen it happen before. Although you can get around this by using a smaller antenna on the lip mount, but then you add yet another compromise to your already compromised antenna.

The DB

Reactions: 1 person

I've had more than a few cars with roof mounts. I sold each of them for what I was asking. Never affected resale for me.
Newer cars and trucks I've sold were prepped, patched and painted. Some, I left the antenna on. I recently sold my Jeep Cherokee, on it, I left the rain cap on the mount. The old man that bought it didn't give a shit.

I never hid anything from the buyer. I have never had a buyer try to reduce the price either. Oh, and I NEVER trade any vehicle in at a stealership.

I know some people don't like drilling holes. No big deal.

A trunk mount will pretty much always give you a compromise location at best, as well as a compromise connection to the metal it is connected to as well. In my experience magnet mount antennas tend to have better connections that lip mount antennas. I also point out that the trunk lid (or hood for that matter) of the car are rarely the best locations as their connections to the rest of the car tends to be iffy at best. If you run power (a lot less than many people think actually) even rf bonding it is rarely enough.

I am not saying an antenna in such a location with such a connection won't work ok, but you are adding adding together several compromises so it definitely won't work as well as an antenna bolted to an optimal location on a car (the middle of the roof).

Also don't think that just because it is a trunk mount it will cause less damage than drilling holes, you are connecting to a thin piece of metal remember, winds over time (aka highway driving) can still bend the metal, possibly costing more in damage than plugging a few holes and repainting. Yes I have seen it happen before. Although you can get around this by using a smaller antenna on the lip mount, but then you add yet another compromise to your already compromised antenna.

The DB

i agree with this. i had several headaches trying out trunk mounts.imho mag mount or roof mount is best mounted on the roof

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.