• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 1012

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Anyone have one ? What do you like about it ? With it expanded 12,11,10m does the rubber ducky tx on all three bands ? Is there a tri band antenna that mates well with this HT ?

I had one for a few days. It is what it is.

My take:

It's a toy.
It's a gimmick
It's a novelty.

There are those that dig it, I sure didn't.

You might, who knows?

Reactions: 1 person
I had one for a few days. It is what it is.

My take:

It's a toy.
It's a gimmick
It's a novelty.

There are those that dig it, I sure didn't.

You might, who knows?

Juat read a eham review of how much it sucked so...and with it being $250 thats a lot of bones for a toy

Magnum asked me to review it; I declined. A toy radio? Yeah; maybe it is that. I can tell you that for that much money - after you buy all of the other extras - that you would be better served to get another radio that doesn't need the extras. IOW - you can spend your money better elsewhere.

I will say that it is kinda unique and fills a niche.

If you're into QRP than it's cool. If you go on business trips or things on airplanes and want something small to take with you it's cool. Backpack camping etc.

You can pack a small dipole a little coax and this radio and do some DXing from your camping spot on top of a mountain. Or maybe when you get to the top of a ski area, etc.

As they mentioned it's good for specific scenarios like that, but in any other scenario where you want a full size radio it doesn't make much sense.

there was a ham

in INDY that checked into the net on 28.380usb all the time,but with the solar flare the past week i havent heard anyone on there.He worked w6opr all the time every day for the last 3 months no problem.With the rubber duck antenna...I wouldnt have another magnum radio,they are noisey and dont last like a rci2950...73 de n0zna

It is what it is, indeed! The supplied rubber ducky antenna is worthless. You will need the MFJ 1810T or the 1812T antenna to get any results, or at very least, the Magnum LRD-1012 whip, (shown).
LRD_ATT.jpg

They do work! I used one in my mobile and worked a VK. He gave me a 5/6, I gave him a 5/9. Clunky to use though. Amusing toy.

With the rubber duck antenna...I wouldnt have another magnum radio,they are noisey and dont last like a rci2950...73 de n0zna

I saw a youtube video demonstrating it. Cool that they made a hand held in 10, 11, and 12 meters, but the point that turned me off the most was the fact that you have to buy your own rechargable batteries, you have to buy an accessory kit to get the recharger, and apparently you can't just plug in a charger or cig. lighter plug and run it off of that. With that in mind, glad you said what you did after I just puchased a used RCI-2950. From what I hear, it and the magnum-257 are about the best of the 10 meter radios. I saw the 2950 that had 10 and 12 for about the same price as a used 10 meter, so I figured I'd be better off with it.... I can't find the jumpers to extend the frequencies, but figure best off, it keeps me from getting in trouble.

U guys cant compaire an mobile radio to a HT dammit.

Some of us go hiking and the HT sounded like a good use.

But it appears to be junk.

Question about counterpouse... same with vhf ht. A RAT TAIL on the magnum HT would it help on ten meter ?

I owned a Cherokee AH-100, basically same as the Magnum 1012. In fact, back in the day, I was at the AES Milwaukee Superfest and i talked to Moleculo on 11 meter with it, barefoot but connected to a 102 inch whip in my Jeep. It was alot of fun. If you want to use it as a primary rig, you won't be happy.
If you want to just listen, I think a Kenwood TH-F6A would be better.

I remember talking to a guy from here that was using a a Cherokee AH-100 on SSB...558 Radio Free Chicago, we had a good QSO, nice guy.
He had a good signal here in CA, I think he was on a External antenna.

Jeff

I remember talking to a guy from here that was using a a Cherokee AH-100 on SSB...558 Radio Free Chicago, we had a good QSO, nice guy.

Jeff

I forgot I talked to you also LOL

Jeff

Well i have a thf6 ....Dude, CHECK THIS OUT: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=250973648814 All modes 10,11,12m HT

haha i cant believe he not remove power to radio before un solder jumper pad for different Freq

I owned a Cherokee AH-100, basically same as the Magnum 1012. In fact, back in the day, I was at the AES Milwaukee Superfest and i talked to Moleculo on 11 meter with it, barefoot but connected to a 102 inch whip in my Jeep. It was alot of fun. If you want to use it as a primary rig, you won't be happy.
If you want to just listen, I think a Kenwood TH-F6A would be better.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.