• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

OPtima

YeticomNZ Optima is priced at US$375 shipped.
That includes the USA.
We don't have the volume to compete with Magnum on pricing and it is not our desire to compete on price but to try to offer a good SSB radio at a price that the consumer will be prepared to pay and still allows us to make enough profit to stay in business.
There are a few things that add value to the Optima other than the 12m band coverage that the 257 doesn't have. (Yet!)
The 8 pin mic, the extra filter, the fan...and some of the software tweaks.

Actually I would much rather have a 40m and 15m single band Optima than 12m tacked on to the 10-11m bands..(if it was up to me!) Much more going on on those bands than 12m.

We will just have to wait for Sam to roll out the new 257's and see what we have.
We hope to keep on refining the Optima till we can't cram any more into it!
Eventually we will run out of space in that little case and have to move to a larger format.
Our reduced number production runs will keep the price high for a while yet I am afraid to say.
To all those on this forum who have bought the Optima ..thank you for your support.
dave

i'd love to find a new 257 HP but they everyone seems to be out of stock. is the demand that high is there something else going on.

BTW - if you do purchase this radio and don't have a Ham license - then PLEASE stay off of the Ham 10m freq (28mHz and above)!

It isn't worth the trouble and expense of HUGE fines and court and attorney cost.
Really.

Most Hams do not care if you use the so-called 'freeband' (above 27.405 up to 27.995); - those freq's below 28mHz.
Please just do not cause interference in any way.

Owning this radio can be dangerous to you wallet if not operated responsibly. It also gives you the option to seek out your Tech license and then be able to use the 10m portion legally on this radio. Getting the Tech license is a little hard to do; but I also think you will earn a proper sense of accomplishment if you take the time and small expense to go that short distance it takes.

Robb/s/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
well how about if i have a license and just dont want u guys to know my call sign, this is why I never did it before, pompas ass ham guys knowing it all the only reason I got a license it just because of people like you, do you put your pants like I do?? do you sit on the bowl when it is time to go?? What makes a ham guy think he is so much better than lets say a no license CB guy?? Were all Americans I hope, we all speak English I hope and what is the big deal if I come and talk on your precious Ham band. Yea I got a license and no I have no intention of talking to asses like you that's why I stay on 11 meters with real people and do a little freebanding when skip is rolling

well how about if i have a license and just dont want u guys to know my call sign, this is why I never did it before, pompas ass ham guys knowing it all the only reason I got a license it just because of people like you, do you put your pants like I do?? do you sit on the bowl when it is time to go?? What makes a ham guy think he is so much better than lets say a no license CB guy?? Were all Americans I hope, we all speak English I hope and what is the big deal if I come and talk on your precious Ham band. Yea I got a license and no I have no intention of talking to asses like you that's why I stay on 11 meters with real people and do a little freebanding when skip is rolling

Sounds like your not getting enough fiber in your diet.

Sounds like your not getting enough fiber in your diet.
Thanks for pointing out that I didn't say something amiss.

Might be a fiber issue because sometimes the ham guys just chap my ass

All I'm saying is that this is a great little radio with a lot of potential. As well as pointing out that with just a little extra effort, anyone can get a license and use it on the 10m band too.
:bdh:

Last edited:
Your Correct Robb this is America and we do have freedom, yes I got a license but choose to not use it on 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters, etc my country allows me to talk on 11 meters for free without being policed by anybody as long as I don't bother anybody and run a legal 11 meter radio

[...]
Your Correct Robb this is America and we do have freedom, yes I got a license but choose to not use it on 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters, etc my country allows me to talk on 11 meters for free without being policed by anybody as long as I don't bother anybody and run a legal 11 meter radio
Wow. I'm impressed. We have here a real renegade, a true anarchist! An iconoclast! The bad hams are pompous and mean! "Know-it-alls"! Yeah... I've heard it all before. You're not the first CB renegade I've met. Boring.:rolleyes:

Aw, give me a break, what are you, 16 years old?

Sour grapes jerks like you should then stay on CB. What an antisocial jerk! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Anyway... most freebanders know better than to try and talk on 10M. In any case, they won't talk to anyone! A few weeks ago, I heard one misplaced unlicensed person trying to call a DX station on 10! Finally the DX station responded, "Whiskey-Charlie 556, you better go back to the freeband; no one will answer you! Licensed amateurs only, please!" It was quite amusing.

The only interlopers I hear on 10 are the odd truckers and the odd Central American pirates (CB'ers).

That Magnum 257HP is a good rig, but personally, I prefer the OPTIMA.

That doesn't even warrant a response from my 57 yr old been a radio guy since 1966 ass, yea I was not legal in 66, being too young,who is the judge and jury you?? Been talking for 45 years, never had any issues with locals, never been reported to any body because I don't cause interference and somebody here is going to make sure I don't talk on 10 meters with a radio I purchased from a radio retail seller,you must think your in Cuba or Russia. This is the USA I served 4 years for Uncle Sam did you?? I don't think so. So Stop Already, Where were you when my buddies were getting drafted to go to Vietnam?? In moms belly, be real

That doesn't even warrant a response from my 57 yr old been a radio guy since 1966 ass, yea I was not legal in 66, being too young,who is the judge and jury you?? Been talking for 45 years, never had any issues with locals, never been reported to any body because I don't cause interference and somebody here is going to make sure I don't talk on 10 meters with a radio I purchased from a radio retail seller,you must think your in Cuba or Russia. This is the USA I served 4 years for Uncle Sam did you?? I don't think so. So Stop Already, Where were you when my buddies were getting drafted to go to Vietnam?? In moms belly, be real
Not that your intemperate and pointless rant warrants a response either, but here it is..

I'm 60 years old, will be 61 in February. Been involved radio since 1964. Got my ticket in 1969, and yes, played with CB way back in '66. I'm Canadian, so Viet Nam was your problem, not mine, though thank you for your service. Here, we have have the Reserves/Militia, similar to your National Guard. Was in that service from 1970 to 1975.

My gripe with you is this unwarranted attitude you have against hams. It's pointless and stupid, and IMHO has no basis in fact. Today, very few hams gripe about CB'ers. They are the future of ham radio, and any thinking ham knows this. You are relying on old, superannuated and obsolete attitudes that some hams had back in the 70's and '80's. Only dinosaurs think like that today. I know a few, and they are in the minority and completely ignorant of today's realities. They trade on obsolete ideas and stereotypes. Sorry you had to deal with them. But frankly, you are just as prejudiced and bigoted as they are. Get over yourself.

That's all from me, I'm done with this issue. Have a nice day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.